Brew your own beer?

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I know I have heard of some guys and gals making their own wine on here just wondering if any members brew their own beer. Me and my friend are going to give it a shot. It is something I have always wanted to do. Depending on how it turns out I'll be more than happy to share the fruits of my labor with anyone.

Now if I could only come up with a catchy Pine Barrens related name for a beer company..........:guinness:

An old room mate of mine used to brew her own beer; was quite good. :D The key is to make sure that EVERYTHING that you use in making your beer is VERY clean. Any containiments (sic) will turn the taste off.

She also made root beer soda ... have to be careful with that stuff, the pressure would build up in the bottles, occasionally causing them to explode ... after the first batch, she would let the bottled soda mature inside of tubs so that if the bottles let go, the mess would be contained.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I've always been interested in giving it a try since I frequent the "Beercrafters" store to get my CO2 filled.

Pinelands Pilsner, Oswego Wheat, Atsion Ale,......

With names like that, you know it'd be good!

If you want an assistant, let me know!

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Lahaway Lager
Carranza's Cream Stout (found at the crash site)
Rockwood Light
Wescoat Wheat Ale
Ong's Magic Hat
Chatsworth Cranberry ale
Demarco's Blueberry ale
I'll stop there for now
Tom

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I've always been interested in giving it a try since I frequent the "Beercrafters" store to get my CO2 filled.

Pinelands Pilsner, Oswego Wheat, Atsion Ale,......

With names like that, you know it'd be good!

If you want an assistant, let me know!
For all your beer brewing and wine making needs Beercrafters is the place to go. My uncle works there and I know the owner. Say hi to Jeff and Phillis for me next time your down there...........Mike:guinness:

If you enjoy micro-brewed beers than it's worth it to brew your own. If girls light or bud is your poison than don't waste your time brewing it yourself.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Hey ICANOE I went down to Beercrafters and spoke to Jeff for probably a good hour. Nice guy and very informative. I'm not a beer snob but I just always thought the idea of making beer at home seemed like a great idea. I purchased the book Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian and I'm about half way done. I can't wait to do it. Maybe if there are some others interested we could all make some and meet up to compare our results. I know how terrible that day would be, drinking beer all day, haha.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Muck said:
I was at the Harbor Freight store over the weekend & they had that "Mr Beer" kit for like $29....can it be any good?

Nope.

Seriously though, it would be cool to compare notes and what not. On Wednesday, my friend and I will be brewing some beer with a strain of hops that the Germans brought to NJ all those years ago. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I was at the Harbor Freight store over the weekend & they had that "Mr Beer" kit for like $29....can it be any good?

I cannot say much because I have yet to brew anything but I was told to steer away from Mr. Beer.

How about Property Stone Ale in honor of someone on this website? I was just thinking out loud.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
This kit is like dollar store junk.
If you enjoy fine ale's, porter's, IPA's, stout's, beer with an alcohol content more than 3%....If you enjoy cooking....Then brewing beer may be for you......Save the money and invest it in quality equiptment.
By the way...I went to DogFish Head Brewery (brewpub/restaurant) in Gaithersburg Maryland on Saturday....It was a 3hr and 15min ride, why did I do it? For the beer :guinness:
Got a room and spent the night. Then drove home Sunday morning stopping off at Gunpowder Falls State Park and Elks Neck State Park for a few miles of hiking.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
ICANOE2, I'm going to the Dogfish head brew pub this Friday. What do they have on tap these days?
Which one are you going to?

You name it! There was at least a dozen different brews on tap and they a had for or five more in bottles. All of thier own brews.:guinness:

Much to my dismay, I was told that "Randell the Enamel Animal" was broken.:( My sole purpose of going there was to drink something filtered through Randell.
My personal favorite is the 60 min. IPA. I sampled the Worldwide Stout 18%ABV. Sheeew....Too sweet for my tastes but it drank like a shot. LOL
I must confess I'm a Hop Head.:D

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I'm going to the brew pub at Rehoboth Beach. Yeah, I'm a fan of those hop things as well. Get your hands on some Kill Ugly Radio (in honor of Zappa) by Lagunitas if you ever see it. You'll be glad you did. :guinness:

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I was going to go to Rehobeoth, but decided to drive a little further to Gaithersburg cause they had a band there.
Three pints of the 60 min. IPA, a snifter of 90 min. IPA, a double shot of the 18% World Wide Stout, a pint of brown, and another pint of 60 along with wings and calamari all in 2.5 hrs and it was bed time at 7:30pm.:guinness: Never made it back for the band at 9 pm. LOL

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was going to go to Rehobeoth, but decided to drive a little further to Gaithersburg cause they had a band there.
Three pints of the 60 min. IPA, a snifter of 90 min. IPA, a double shot of the 18% World Wide Stout, a pint of brown, and another pint of 60 along with wings and calamari all in 2.5 hrs and it was bed time at 7:30pm.:guinness: Never made it back for the band at 9 pm. LOL

Damn! You must be a big fellow. I could do, maybe the 2 pints, some food and then another, long as the alcohol was light on the last one. But to top it off with squid? Yech!