Bridge to be replaced

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
http://courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/NEWS01/60728032

Burlco bridge to be replaced

Friday, July 28, 2006

A portion of Carranza Road in Washington Township, Burlington County, will be closed for six weeks for a bridge replacement project, beginning Monday, Freeholder Vincent R. Farias announced today.

The bridge is located about three miles south of the Emilio Carranza Memorial, and just north of Friendship-Speedwell Road.

Carranza Road will be closed to through traffic just south of the Memorial. The timber bridge over Shane Branch of Tulpehocken Creek, with a four-ton weight limit, is on an unpaved portion of Carranza Road.

It will be replaced with a new timber bridge by the County Highway Department as part of the county's bridge repair and replacement plan. When completed, there will be no weight limit on the bridge.

No detour will be posted. The impacted roads will be open to local traffic on both sides of the bridge.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Six weeks? That seems like a long time. I think you are right Guy, they must be putting in somthing substantial. I'm thinking...does that bridge really need repair? Not that I am a bridge engineer or anything. Well anybody who wanted to drive a 5 ton truck to basto through Wharton will be happy, in two and a half months.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Not sure. They are going to use timber.

Steve

Well, it was an exaggeration of sorts because to me anything more than it presently is would be a superhighway.

One would think that they may want to drive a massive fire or sand truck down that road and want to make sure that it doesn't end up in the stream.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well the cynic in me always makes me suspicious about that sort of thing also. But my *guess* is that it's something less sinister, and that there are new codes which specify higher standards for any new bridges possibly as the result of a failure somewhere.

The other day I was talking with my neighbor about a "paper street" which forms one of my property boundaries. There isn't any road, trail or anything there now. He said they never would build that road now because they would have to put a "real bridge" over the little stream it crosses due to modern codes. An existing road which crosses the same creek has a simple little bridge which he said wouldn't meet the new specs.