Broken glass on graves

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was just asked about the pine barrens tradition of decorating graves with broken glass. I didn’t really have any more information other than the fact that it was occasionally done. I assumed it was just cheap decoration without any deeper meaning. Is anyone else familiar with this tradition or its significance?

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Never heard of it German. Now my interest is piqued, I want to know more. I do know that there is a Jewish/Hebrew (I think) custom that when you visit a grave, you leave a small rock or stone on the headstone to let people know there was a visitor.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
There are a few in the Green Bank Cemetery as well. Perhaps the significance lies with the person buried there, their occupation, etc.? I'll have to check names and dates at Green Bank and if I can't connect them with a common significance I'll ask around.....get back to you.

turtle

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I think I remember something about African-American grave sites using glass to decorate unmarked graves when money wasn't available to buy a tombstone. This may be the connection or origin at least.

Elyse

Apr 29, 2017
Glassboro, NJ
I just visited the Egg Harbor City cemetary yesterday. There are many plots covered in broken green glass. I've never seen this decorating custom anywhere else in the USA except the Pine Barrens. I think the little church cemetary over near Batsto has some decorated like this too.

Covering a grave with broken glass and ceramics was a common 18th/19th century practice among African and African American slaves and later black communities. If the Pine Barrens graves in question were associated with black communities, that could reflect this broader tradition. IF the glass-covered graves in the Pine Barrens were not associated with black communities, it could be cultural borrowing - a bit more interesting given the long tradition of glass manufacturing in South Jersey... Here's one freely-available piece on the African American practice from the journal Historical Archaeology: http://users.clas.ufl.edu/davidson/arch of death/Week 13/Jamieson 1995.pdf

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Covering a grave with broken glass and ceramics was a common 18th/19th century practice among African and African American slaves and later black communities. If the Pine Barrens graves in question were associated with black communities, that could reflect this broader tradition. IF the glass-covered graves in the Pine Barrens were not associated with black communities, it could be cultural borrowing - a bit more interesting given the long tradition of glass manufacturing in South Jersey... Here's one freely-available piece on the African American practice from the journal Historical Archaeology: http://users.clas.ufl.edu/davidson/arch of death/Week 13/Jamieson 1995.pdf
Thanks for the reference material, good information.....page 50, 3rd paragraph delves into the concept of broken glass, shards of pottery, etc...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is maybe an alternative reason this occurred in the pines that may or may not be correct. With the many glass factories around years ago the workers at the end of the day had plenty of glass left over that was not used. They even made what were called "end of the day" chains for themselves and others. I had the pleasure of being involved with getting one chain into the museum at Batsto. Here is a partial photo of it. This chain was handed down over the years to a woman I know and she wanted it protected and displayed for future generations to see. She kept it clean by placing it in her dishwasher which she said actually damaged it. These chains were displayed at Christmas as well as any time of the year.

IMG_2966a.jpg

Anyway, the workers not only made chains they made other items for themselves and maybe they even made glass pieces for people to put on graves including former workers graves. I am not saying they started this tradition or I am even correct, however, the availabilty of glass in the pines made this a fairly cheep way to honor the dead. Once the "made" pieces of glass became scarce any piece of glass would work.

Guy