Bucket feeders

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Has anyone scene bucket feeders in the Pine Barrens? I saw one last week. It was a 5 gallon bucket attached to a tree with pellets in it. Only about 4 feet from the ground. I figured these are for the deer but it is the first and only one i have seen.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We saw one last week while out caching, too.
I guess we weren't the only nosy ones! We got out and looked inside, and also guessed that it was deer feed. (although I did not taste it!) :v:
There are many studies sponsored by Rutgers going in NJ on that involve feed thru birth control for deer, but I doubt that's what this is since the bucket bore no label, and I think those studies are restricted to mostly suburban and urban areas. The WMA's feed the deer in some places, correct?

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
i saw something similar with pellets in it, but it had a plastic lid on it too, so i don't know how deer would get to the food...

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
most likley feeders left in the woods by hunters. some have photocels and release food 1/2 hour before and a 1/2 after sunset, fancy ones you can set the times you want it to feed, although they feed at a normal time deer would be feeding, the deer learn very quickly if you are hunting over that feeder and only visit it after dark.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
What we saw was a red plastic 5 gallon pail with a plastic lid. It had no other features, and was closed. I was guessing that someone comes and spreads deer chow once in a while.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I saw one last weekend. It was about 20 feet from the road. It was a white 5 gallon bucket with a lid filled with some type of feed. It was nailed to a tree about 2 feet off of the ground. On the side at thr bottom was about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch hole drilled in it to let the feed drop to the ground. The wierdest thing was about 5 feet from the bucket there was what looked to be rabbit parts legs, furs and guts kind of nasty but they were not rotted no flies on them just dried out.