Bug ID help?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Does anyone know what these bugs are? This is a milkweed pod, growing inside a fenced garden at Bass River SF. They caught my attention because of the bright orange color, and the fact that there were so many of them together.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Thanks! That's interesting. As the article says, to improve habitat for monarch butterflies, we've tried to plant milkweed in several places in the state forest. Sometimes from seeds, sometimes from small plants someone grows for us and delivers in plastic tubes. As far as I know, not one of the ones I planted survived. They grow very well in this garden, which is fenced in, so I think something is eating up all the small plants I planted elsewhere.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As far as I know, not one of the ones I planted survived. They grow very well in this garden, which is fenced in, so I think something is eating up all the small plants I planted elsewhere.
Might want to contact Rose Franklin; I bought some plants from her, very helpful. But hurry; she is planning to retire soon. She lives and breathes Monarch's and Milkweed. Would have liked to visit her farm located in PA. Some Milkweed is poisonous, no idea what would eat it.