Bull Creek Wilds, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On 12/22/2013 all members of PBX received notice from Bob that our next hike would be Bull Creek Wilds and would take place in the area of Bull Creek in the vicinity of Bulltown Bogs. Yesterday was that day and at 8:45AM we all met near Wading Pines. On this trip would be myself, Jessica, Bobpbx, Woodjin, Hewey, Lost Town Hunter, and non member Paul who was seriously sick.

From there we dropped off a few vehicles along the Washington Turnpike and then headed to the start along 563. One of our first serious obstacles was what might actually be an old growth cedar swamp that was very strenuous. it was tough enough that during the crossing Jessica did some sort of damage to her neck and is suffering today.

IMG_4074.JPG

For lunch we found a sunny spot in the open woods to talk and enjoy the good food.

IMG_4077.JPG

Long time members and members of the Ghost Town site from the early 2000s may remember my visit to the ruins of the Al Brant property. Our route went through this property and we all checked out the massive cellar hole there. If you have Beck's Jersey Genesis open the book to the middle with the map of The Mullica River and you will see Al Brant mentioned.

Jessica was used for depth reference. Someone had to :)

IMG_4078.JPG

Finally, we made it to the Washington Turnpike where we rated it a 7.7. While talking there a few vehicles came by and Jessica informed me later they has a GoPro on their hood. Was it anyone here? If so, you should have us on video.

Sorry for the lack of photo's but I was concentrating on making it through the woods and failed to take many.

Our tracks

tracks.jpg

Guy

Reactions: Hewey and John

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Polar Vortex my butt. The media grabbed on that and shook the life out of it like a bull dog. Were not conditions for today (Sunday) supposed to be horrendous? This is the best hiking weather.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I occasionally drive to the Brant ruins and eat lunch there when I have Momma with me.She loves setting in the yard on a sunny day.
Wish I had of been there but was working 4 to 12 and would not have made work.I was in those woods a bit last winter,their nice.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I'm glad we rolled the dice on the weather! It turned out to be a great day for some exploring in the pines!

A large spung early in the hike. It had large matts of frozen sphagnum on the surface.

Maples and sphagnum.

Most of the day was easy going. The only snag was the cedar swamp we had to cross. I think this swamp was one of the most difficult swamps I have walked in.

Stately cedars in one of the swamps we passed through. This swamp was easy walking with a nice understory of scartered laurels, some of which were 20' tall! This swamp has never but cut or has not been cut in a very long time. The cedar are large and there is a lack of any old stumps.

Lost Town Hunter and Teegate go over logistics as Woodjin looks on and Bobpbx warms his hands.

A good part of the day was spent in uplands dominated by white oak.

A very large burl Bob and I discovered on a pine.

A nice open grassy area.

One of the few dunes we crossed during the day.

A small treasure I found along the way. A nice shed deer antler.

All in all, it shaped up to be a fine day in Jersey's big woods!

Chris

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the trip report Guy. Here are some photos. The liverwort (thanks Ted) is Bazzania trilobata. The fern looking moss is Hypnum imponems. I really liked that cedar swamp. Put it on your late spring calendar, we'll take a ride back there. By the way, I judge that Mountain Laurel behind Chris to be 18 to 20 feet high. A record for me I think.

1A.png
2.PNG
3A.png
4A.png
5A.png
8.PNG
8A.png
9A.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica still has a knot in her shoulder blades from about the location Bob's photo shows her at. Going under one of the logs really hurt her.

Bob,

Thanks for inviting me on my second pbx hike. I enjoyed getting away from the computer for a day to be among a team of fine field companions. The plant with the long seed pods we saw in the deer feed lot dominated by switch grass whose name you asked me was Hemp-dogbane, Apocynum cannabinum. I regret that we were unable to collect a specimen of what I thought was a sphagnum moss floating on the pond. The highlight for me was seeing the Brant homestead, that I had last seen in about 1974
when I drove my Jeepster Commando down the old sand trails in this area to Bulltown. Thanks, Guy, for coming up with the occupants name. Jeff and Paul, it was great we had extended time together to become better acquainted. Looking forward to other adventures. Lost Town Hunter

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I remember correctly it was Ben who came up with the name of the location after I visited the place in 2002.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Ted, I should have known better, as I have it in my collection....I went by the flower when I keyed it out. I never thought that the fruit would look like that when they opened.