Bulltown Bogs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We again spent the morning walking the Bulltown Bog property lines looking for the many multiple property stones and corners. On the way to where we parked we found in short order three of the blue paw prints we have discussed here before. I am glad they talked with this person and stopped it.

IMG_4537a.jpg

IMG_4539a.jpg

IMG_4540a.jpg

The path we took to the stones cross many of the upland dunes on the east side of the property. They are a perfect place to enjoy a nice stroll and look around. However, the stones are on the edges in the woods or somewhat deeper, so we had to forage around to find them.

This monument is hidden away along the margin between the upland dunes and the swamp, most likely never viewed since the 1950s when the state put it there because they as of yet did not own Bulltown Bogs.

IMG_4556a.jpg

And the same with this larger stone that is almost completely underground. The metal poker behind it was used to find it.

IMG_4541a.jpg

And after digging around it.

IMG_4566a.jpg

Just down the hill from the dune. A hunter has a deer stand in that large tree.

IMG_4549a.jpg

The margin of the swamp in that area is perfect for walking and exploring.

IMG_4563a.jpg

And as much as we really enjoyed this area, there is always someone who has a different reason to be there. I will be reporting this one. I think I will try the app as I have only used it once before a long time ago.

IMG_4538a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used the app to report the trash. It really asks way too many questions for trash dumping and takes way too much time to fill out. If I was standing there I would have given up. And I put the GPS cords in properly, and it was sent properly, but the link that was provided in the receipt shows the location not even close to the dump site.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
The worst thing is it does not even look like trash that you couldn't put in your regular garbage. I understand (but dont agree with) why people might try to dump construction debris, but household garbage is just ridiculous. I was out walking in Howardsville yesterday and there was a similar pile too. It just makes me so angry. Even my 13 yr old daughter said "dad, if this area is protected, why is there so much garbage here?

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

The Bulltown Bogs are owned by the state and the former owners have lifetime rights to stay there in the home they reside in along the bogs. So when exploring there over the years I have made it a point to stay away from them and only search for stones in the remote area's. We first visited in 2007 on the west side and found a few stones. The woods were fairly open and easy to manage so we headed into the bogs and discovered this. From what I have been told this wind turbine contraption was to be used to keep the wind flowing on cold mornings to keep the plants from freezing. With the multiple piping there I would also assume hot water was sprayed out to warm the bogs. Totally just guessing.

Here are various views from 2007. Notice the bogs are fairly open and the turbine is easy to get to. Keep these two views in your head.

IMG_8793a.jpg

IMG_8791a.jpg

So today we decided to go again and the place has really changed. The route we took in 2007 was a challenge to get through and the vegetation has really grown. We finally made it to the turbine and it was as if we we were in a different world.

Today, just 13 years later.

IMG_4595a.jpg

IMG_4599a.jpg

Jessica was walking ahead of me most of the time and she scared a raccoon and her young. They jumped into the canal and the mom was quite annoyed at us as she was trying to account for all her young. We only saw her for a second and the young moving through the brush. Did not even get a photo.

IMG_4585a.jpg

Checking out a pump house.

IMG_4591a.jpg

Someone is pounding stakes into the canal for some reason.

IMG_4590a.jpg

And guess who else visited there.

IMG_4600a.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The wind turbine is an interesting idea. It's amazing how fast nature is reclaiming in just 13 years. I would have guessed at least 20 by the height of the vegetation.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have visited another one and it would be interesting to know how many there actually are.

This was 2008 at a second location. This temperature text is what tells us I believe it heated the water. I am betting they really did not work well but it would also be interesting to know if that is true.

IMG_0898a.jpg

IMG_0901a.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I don't know if water spray was deployed into the wind stream or not but your picture is of the engine panel which shows the amps the generator is putting out to charge the starting battery, the water temp inside the engine and radiator and a warning light if the oil pressure falls low.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. I found an article (ad) on them from 1958. If any current member wants to have a copy before the next two days are over, send me a Conversation and I will send it to you. Or send me an email. My email is on all of my photos. I will not post it.

Reactions: bobpbx

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
How effective do you think these were in preventing a killing frost? I wonder how wide the area of protection was. The first image had 2 turbines on the same pole the second only had 1

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The original ad I found shows a much smaller unit, so maybe the two prop was a newer model or an ungraded one. Maybe they determine which one is needed depending on the acreage???