Burlington County bogs produce a bountiful crop

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Great!
I would like to bring my son Sam. I think he would dig it.
Now, not to sound foolish, (something I'm good at) Let's say I don't know where these bogs are, which I don't, you can provide direction?
I kinda know the way out to Wells Mills but that's about it. The part of Barnegat I think you mean is probably a place I generally just pass by or go around.

g.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Great!
I would like to bring my son Sam. I think he would dig it.
Now, not to sound foolish, (something I'm good at) Let's say I don't know where these bogs are, which I don't, you can provide direction?
I kinda know the way out to Wells Mills but that's about it. The part of Barnegat I think you mean is probably a place I generally just pass by or go around.

g.

The entrance to the tract is just about one mile west of the Garden State Parkway on Rt 554 (West Bay Ave). It is a gravel road and is marked with a small green street sign as Cloverdale Rd. The tract is open to the public right now, although no signs have been posted at the road, as it is still being developed.

Interestingly, on my Hagstrom county road map, the road going in off Bay Ave is listed as Wells Mills Road rather than Cloverdale. The original Wells Mills Road pre-dated Rt 532 which now bears that name. Years before all the development, the original Wells Mills Rd. ran south from Wells Mills, crossing the Pancoast Rd. and heading on to the cranberry farm.

As for next Sunday, how about 9;00 at Wells Mills? As I suggested earlier, some may want to see the inside of the cabin here as well as go to Cloverdale.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As for next Sunday, how about 9;00 at Wells Mills? As I suggested earlier, some may want to see the inside of the cabin here as well as go to Cloverdale.

Jess and I will be at Wells Mills at 9AM on Sunday. Thank you!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For those of you who are going on Sunday, or may be new to the site.

The Estlow family owned the property where the cabin is located that German is going to show us before we head to the bog. They are descendants of Christopher Estlow who the last time I checked was still resting comfortably at Reevestown Cemetery with his wife Ann. It is interesting that the stone is a much newer stone than most likely was originally there, and with her maiden name on it I would think her family had the stone made and put there.

estlowgrave.JPG

According to our own DiggerSW, Christopher Estlow purchased the Red Oak Grove tract in 1859 after re-establishing the post office there in 1858. He also started a school at Red Oak Grove. And according to DiggerSW Estlow purchased the mill at Wells Mills where we will be on Sunday in the 1870’s. You can read more about that in his article on this site.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com//ghost-towns/the-hunt-for-red-oak-grove

Here is the map showing the property he owned at Red Oak Grove with one of the many different spellings of his last name.

estellowmap.jpg

And the two stones on the property at Red Oak Grove that Estlow owned.

IMG_6677.JPG

estlow.JPG

Here are the census records for 1850 showing the Estlow family which includes 6 children. You can see in the 1850’s he was a Millwright. DiggerSW in the above article mentions he also was a farmer when in Burlington County.

1850 Washington Twp, Burlington Co, NJ
Christopher Estlow 34 NJ Millwright
Ann 34
Jesse A. 9
Godfrey 8
Francis 7
Christopher 5
Winfield 4
Hezekiah 1

By 1860 he had another child, and apparently was involved with raising one other (Charity Southard). And he now is in Ocean County.

1860 Dover Twp, Ocean Co, NJ
Christopher Estlow 45
Ann 45
Jesse A. 20
Godfrey 18
Francis 17
Christopher Jr. 15
Hezekiah 12
Sadoc 6
Charity Southard 12

By the 1870’s when he purchased the mill at Wells Mills, most of his children had moved on.

1870 Dover, Ocean Co, NJ
Estlow Christopher 54
Ann 55
Christopher Jr. 25
Hiseciah 21
Sadoc 16

And in 1880 it was just him and her, and by 1881 he would become a permanent resident of Reevestown.

1880 Ocean, Ocean, New Jersey
Christopher Estlow 64 Millwright
Ann Estlow Wife 65

Now I have some of his children’s census records, and I see no mention of Tildon who is mentioned on the Ocean County website concerning the history of Wells Mills. Maybe German can tell us who the parents were of Tildon Estlow.

http://www.ocean.nj.us/parks/WellsMillsp1and2.pdf

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good stuff guy.

Wasn't Tildon (Uncle Till) the one in Jersey Genesis who..."was a village wrestler, tought by a father who, once confronted in the swamps by a wildcat, killed the animal with a club".

(page 184)

Says he was the son of Francis Robineau who was named for a Hessian soldier who deserted.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From the Asbury Park Press...YEEHAA!

TOMS RIVER — Ocean County's freeholders will spend $8.1 million to nearly double the size of Wells Mills County Park west of Waretown (Ocean Township).

They are expected to vote Wednesday to buy 877 acres from Barry O. Horner and his wife. The land adjoins the 900-acre park and stretches more than a mile and a half along the Oyster Creek, according to Freeholder John C. Bartlett Jr.

Bartlett said Horner once had an offer of $18 million to sell the land to the Hovnanian interests for development, but turned to the county land preservation program when that deal was never consummated.

"We have the appraisals to support the purchase,'' Bartlett said.

When linked with other county, state and Ocean Township holdings in the area, Bartlett said 3,000 acres will be in public ownership west of the Garden State Parkway.

"Someday these water courses will be providing drinking water,'' Bartlett said of the effort to buffer the headwaters of the Oyster Creek and other streams from development.

He said the purchase is the largest ever made by the county using its natural lands trust fund. Voters approved a 1.2-cent county tax to fund that program in 1999. Today, it raises $12 million in taxes.

Read more in Thursday's Asbury Park Press.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You are correct. So he is the son of Christopher Estlow's son Christopher Estlow. I am not sure if he was a JR. Where does the Francis Robineau come in???

Guy

That is WONDERFUL news! Wells Mills is very near and dear to my heart AND my home - it's where I first really learned to appreciate the Pine Barrens about 25 years ago. Those of you who haven't been there are in for a real treat on Sunday. The lake is gorgeous; where I first learned to canoe. The trails are great - you'll see!

Eight years ago, I interviewed Cliff Oakley about his family and the cabin. If you're interested in his story, here's the link:

http://www.pineypower.com/interviews.htm

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Tildon was the son of Francis, and the grandson of Christopher Estlow. His full name was Francis Tilden Estlow, but he went by and was known to everyone as Tilden. Tilden and his wife, Lydia, are buried at the Cedar Grove Cemetary on Bryant Rd. in Waretown.

Reactions: Tucker17

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks German. I believe I have been to his grave now that you said that. I can't find a photo so I must not have taken one.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is WONDERFUL news! Wells Mills is very near and dear to my heart AND my home - it's where I first really learned to appreciate the Pine Barrens about 25 years ago. Those of you who haven't been there are in for a real treat on Sunday. The lake is gorgeous; where I first learned to canoe. The trails are great - you'll see!

Eight years ago, I interviewed Cliff Oakley about his family and the cabin. If you're interested in his story, here's the link:

http://www.pineypower.com/interviews.htm

Hmmm boy! That "Egg Harbor Hurry Up" sounds delicious!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A magnificent piece.
Look forward to seeing you.
I get nuts reading on all this stuff because my love of the shore pines exceeds all. I could have lived that life and never wanted for anything else.
These folks and baymen alike were incredible. Aside from where I am now, I've always felt my best up around Tuckerton, LBI, and I harbor fond memories of Point Pleasant & inland of there in the 70's. aside from my littlin's, I'd trade it all.
I'm Counting the hours. See ya.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have read that a few times and have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you!

Guy

A magnificent piece.
Look forward to seeing you.
I get nuts reading on all this stuff because my love of the shore pines exceeds all. I could have lived that life and never wanted for anything else.
These folks and baymen alike were incredible. Aside from where I am now, I've always felt my best up around Tuckerton, LBI, and I harbor fond memories of Point Pleasant & inland of there in the 70's. aside from my littlin's, I'd trade it all.
I'm Counting the hours. See ya.

g.

It is a good life to live so near the Bay, yet still in the tranquility of the Pines. Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am; sometimes I forget. There's lots of exploring to be had here too, and who knows, maybe one day I'll find that gold that Captain Kidd buried somewhere along the shores of the Barnegat Bay!

Thanks for the kind words. I hope to make it to WMP and Cloverdale on Saturday, but have frends coming to visit. :(