Burlington County Country Club

dorikirk

Mar 27, 2021
Hickory, nc
I recently found a deed for the purchase of some lots at the Burlington County Country Club in Chatsworth,NJ dated 1909. These belonged to my great grandfather.
I have searched and searched for information of this area and have not been able to turn up anything. Does anyone know of this area?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
You are right that there is no mention of Burlington County Country Club on this site, or even if you google. It may help if you could give us the name of your great grandfather.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You are right that there is no mention of Burlington County Country Club on this site, or even if you google. It may help if you could give us the name of your great grandfather.
But isn't it the same as the Chatsworth Country Club? There are many posts if you search on that term. Here is one example:

"
1616897131956.png

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
If I had the great grandfather's name, I might be able to tie it to 'The Chatsworth Club'. It went into foreclosure in 1908 and sold to a syndicate composed of Jonathan Godfrey, Leavitt J Hunt, and Thomas C. Rumbault.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would think it was the Chatsworth Club or an organization related to it. I will ask around.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I learned about that place recently. I posted about it in my pine barrens shorts thread at the below link. This is unrelated to the Chatsworth Club that was on Chatsworth Lake. This is Woodmansie as far as I can tell unless they were going to build it at Bullock.

Announcement has been made that an organization known as the Lebanon Sport Club, of which John Philip Sousa, the eminent bandmaster, is vice president, has purchased the former William P. Bryan farm, along the Central Railroad at Woodmansie, and after improvements are made, will use the farm and its woodland, consisting of 478 acres, as a hunting rendezvous. "Babe" Ruth, of baseball fame, is another member of the company, while George N. Harris, of Camden, is the secretary.

The property was originally known as the Bullock farm, and later it was purchased by the Summit Fruit Company, which operated it as a farm and set a portion of it out in cranberry bogs. It is understood that among the improvements contemplated is the erection of a large commodious club house. The vice president, John Philip Sousa, is said to be the active head of the company, and to friends he has expressed the desire of spending his vacations on the place, he being an expert hunter.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Very interesting! I have always wondered what that was, guess I missed your post about it. So, it was just a plan that wasn't actually realized? Odd that they would put it on the USGS topo if it didn't really exist. What was the date on that article?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That is strange. Looking at the USGS historical topo map archive, that feature was not on the older 62K topo maps that were discontinued in 1949. And it was not on the first 24k maps that were introduced in 1951 either.

The first map it appeared on was the 1957 24k topo

So, if that was a non-existent "country club", I wonder why the USGS added it to the map over 25 years after that article was published?

dorikirk

Mar 27, 2021
Hickory, nc
If I had the great grandfather's name, I might be able to tie it to 'The Chatsworth Club'. It went into foreclosure in 1908 and sold to a syndicate composed of Jonathan Godfrey, Leavitt J Hunt, and Thomas C. Rumbault.
My great grandfather was George Scheetz and the transaction took place in December 1909.

dorikirk

Mar 27, 2021
Hickory, nc
My great grandfather was George Scheetz and the transaction took place in December 1909.
Purchase of the 8 lots entitled him to "hunting on the Club's preserve consisting of 5,000 acres adjoining the Club and free use of tennis courts, golf links, garage, boathouse and boating privileges and conveyances to and from the station"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would think that most likely that club never was completed or existed, and he may have lost his money.