Burnt Mill Road

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I just took my daughter to her first soccer practice at the end of Burnt Mill Road in Waterford Township last week. To my surprise I noticed a mound of gravel where it changes over to dirt. I decided to take this way home since it is shorter to cut through the woods than it is to loop around. Apparently all the puddles were filled in. Its nice to see that the roads are getting repaired so they can be used by anybody. Last year at this time it was impassable even with 4wd.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I just took my daughter to her first soccer practice at the end of Burnt Mill Road in Waterford Township last week.
Hey man,
My youngest is in 3rd year of Soccer there. Cool. Perhaps we'll bump into each other sometime. Yeah, road's a little weird right now and all the recent work in my opinion turned into the "road" equivalent of Bat Guano.

Best Regards,

g.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Teegate, that's the place.

Largo, My daughter is in her second year there so i am still on the small fields.
Its funny right now the paved road is worse than the dirt road. I tried taking the dirt road home last year and couldn't. This spring, when it was dry I went down there and there was still large puddles. I couldn't believe how bad that road had become. I have 4wd but without 40" tires there is no way I would make it through.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

Click on the 1995 image in Guy's link and you will be cheerfully surprised to see that the soccer fields were built on top of the sewage lagoons from the former sewage treatment plant !
:eek:
The lagoons served as settling ponds prior to further treatment and final discharge to the woods located to the east.
Not to worry though, the lagoons were pumped out and filled with clean fill material and brought up to their current elevations for use as recreation fields.

There was an elaborate spray field system all through the woods that created one of the best deer hunting meccas in New Jersey. The spray fields were cut-in lanes through the woods and the lanes contained lush, waist high grasses throughout the year. It was so lush it drew deer from other states. Not really.
The spray field grid can be seen in the same 1995 image.

I worked on surveying portions of the original plant in the late 1970's and actually waded through the lined lagoons getting bottom elevations for the final plant asbuilts before the system went on line. The lagoons accumulated rain water prior system activation.
The entire treatment system was abandoned several years ago due to excessive nitrate pollution in the groundwater beneath the spray fields.
The plant was then converted to a CCMUA pump station, pumping all of Atco's sewage to beautiful downtown Camden at Ferry Avenue for treatment and discharge to the Delaware River.

The basic tenets of water treatment and groundwater balances were put aside for that move. The Waterford sewage plant and the township that it served is in the Atlantic basin, i.e. all surface runoff ultimately flows to the Atlantic Ocean. The Camden CCMUA plant was designed to accept flows from lands within the Delaware Basin. The issue is that most of Waterford is served by individual shallow wells and septics, allowing water to return to the same acquifers from which it was pumped. Pumping Waterford's public sewage flows to Camden alters the water balance.
Ultimately, the threat to groundwater from the excessive nitrates won the arguments.

Just don't eat the soccer field dirt ! Just kidding.
:)

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes I already knew that but it sounds like you even more experience with it. I remember them building it when I was a kid. I used to see all the equipment on the bus ride to school in Waterford (the old one) and pretty much all of town was torn up for the sewer lines. In the 90's I was very active with the fire department and local government about the time that they went off line and turned into the pumping station and soccer fields it is today.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I used to ride motorcycles in the mid to late 70's in the gravel pit that eventually became the treatment plant.
A friend of mine from Gibbsboro was riding a DT 250 in shorts (not smart) back there circa 1975 and dumped the bike, exhaust side down, on his leg and couldn't get it off fast enough. The treatment required skin grafts and caused much pain and suffering.

As you traveled east on Burnt Mill, there was a sharp bend to the left that lead back to the pit and remnants of fields and a few houses. A friend who lived his whole life on Burnt Mill always called it Porter's field. The road was known as Pine Road and it can be seen in the 1970 aerial clipped below.

You will need to zoom out a little and activate the "all roads" overlay.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri....7541659858609&lon=-74.862580054199&year=1970

Toggle to 1995 and you can see Pine Road was used as the main branch road for the spray fields.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri....7541659858609&lon=-74.862580054199&year=1995

Scott

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
I served on Waterford Twp's environmental commission and we established a horse trailer parking area next to the soccer fields. We also put up a large trail map there in cooperation with the Wharton State Forest folks. Biggest problem is the road leading into the forest at that point is used for dumping. The TWP has had cleanup days sponsored by NJ's Clean Communities Program where we go into the Forest and collect trash. Wade Salvage on Jackson Rd assist by providing dumpsters for the trash. You wouldn't believe the amount of trash that's collected