Burrowing insects?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Up in the woods off Glossy Spung yesterday, and later at Friendship, we saw a great number of burrow openings in the sand. We surmise they are created by a large burrowing insect, but we're not sure which one. I've been out in the woods at springtime many times over the last ten years, but I don't recall seeing such a concentration.

An individual burrow in the sand off Glossy Spung. The opening is approximately the diameter of a pencil...

Two side by side...

What I mean by concentration...

Out at Friendship, same thing, different dirt...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I seen the same thing this past week myself with hills in the dozens in a very small space.I have seen these many times but not this many,I have a bug site where they answer questions.I will take this photo and send it in and see if i get an answer.
Al

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I seen the same thing this past week myself with hills in the dozens in a very small space.I have seen these many times but not this many,I have a bug site where they answer questions.I will take this photo and send it in and see if i get an answer.
Al

Thanks for confirming our impressions, Al. I'll be interested in anything you find out.

subkron

Nov 5, 2008
Bees for sure. We have them every year in our yard as soon as the weather breaks. As to what kind I don't know.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14988266@N05/4534790511/
yes a bee of the colletes genus from what the bug guide person told me.then i went to google and found this pic ob fickr of a colletes nest
http://bugguide.net/node/view/499796
this is a link to the reply on Bug Guide.you may have to register to get to it,noyt sure.these folks are always very helpful.I'm not as near as good on my insects as my mammals,herps and birds.wish i were better.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thats what struck me as odd.I see them every year but I literally could not sit down on this small island I was on last week without crushing half a dozen of these mounds which i did.I thought they were ant mounds but I saw absolutely no ants on them.Bees did cross my mind but if I had really believed that I wouldn't have been setting on them.I do not care fro bees and wasps and especially ground dwellers.have had some nasty experiences with yellowjackets in the past.I wonder if these Colletes bees sting?Apparently all they want to be is left alone and retreat underground when someone is near.My kind of bee,solitary and non agressive.
Al