Busby's Cafe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She just turned it into a Cafe and is not selling it from what I hear.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
An interesting article, but it has a major flaw in it. The author got his buildings confused. Read the article and tell me what you see wrong. You would have had to have been around before she bought it to know the flaw. Here is the paragraph in question.

Buzby’s, a landmark since 1865, had been abandoned since 1966. Marilyn Schmidt, who describes herself as “a convinced Piney,” came across the building while visiting the Barrens. “I hated to see the old building falling apart,” she says. She sold her home on Long Beach Island, bought Buzby’s, and for two years sank every penny she had into its restoration.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
In the mid-70s I would ride there with a group of dirtbiking friends and we would fill up our bikes with gas.So it wasn't abandoned.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They got Buzby's mixed up with The White Horse.

You are correct. Nice!

I would go there for sodas in the 70's until I heard that some of the people working there would open them and drink out of them. Not sure how they could do that without knowing they would get caught, but it still stopped me from going anymore.

Guy

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
I thought the dates/buildings were off somehow, but my memory of the area starts in the mid-80's, so I was not sure.

I asked my wife if she knew about the cafe', because a woman in her Bible study has occasion to be to Buzby's somewhat frequently. She had not heard about it, though.

I need to make time to get out there...I want to hike the tracks a while.