Busy beavers gnawing away at New Jersey man’s patience, one tree at a time

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
2024-02-25_144241.jpg

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
I was able to close out the message and read the article.

Teegate,

I just posted a few images I shared to the Facebook group discussing this. The reporting seemed more sensational and headline-grabbing than being of substance. The bottom line is that NJCF and NBP have a stake in managing the property. I have a sentimental connection to that location and history in that my great grandparents lived on the property at one time as cranberry bog maintenance folk and that the factory on the other side of the road is the first place Bog Sauce later to be known as Ocean Spray's Cranberry Sauce was canned there. It's been a real shame how the location was scooped up to be preserved and then let to rot. I made several attempts to get the local committee involved to force better management practices but that's another story.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate,

I just posted a few images I shared to the Facebook group discussing this. The reporting seemed more sensational and headline-grabbing than being of substance. The bottom line is that NJCF and NBP have a stake in managing the property. I have a sentimental connection to that location and history in that my great grandparents lived on the property at one time as cranberry bog maintenance folk and that the factory on the other side of the road is the first place Bog Sauce later to be known as Ocean Spray's Cranberry Sauce was canned there. It's been a real shame how the location was scooped up to be preserved and then let to rot. I made several attempts to get the local committee involved to force better management practices but that's another story.

Thank you for the photos and insight.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a different take on this. The community should certainly chip in and set things to right. They have equipment and muscle. I don't ever see anyone out there when I go. One reason is because the entrance is so obscure it looks like a person's yard. But really, I see this all the time. I did surveys of 20 swamp pink sites last year, from Lindenwald to Jackson, to Atlantic county and Monmouth county. 90% of the people in the local neighborhoods don't give a rat's ass about the environment in their own back yard.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I successfully trapped two beaver this trapping season after several years of trying to get the permit. In my opinion, there is an unjustifiably low number of only 200 permits available across the entire State each year. I live in Beaver Zone 10 and there are just 8 permits available in my zone. The zone is very large (89,000 acres) and includes parts of Wharton and private lands reaching from Medford to Hammonton. There are presently only 1,300 licensed trappers in the entire State and that is nearly double what it was when I got certified in 2007.

I quickly found out that beaver is amazingly good to eat. So far, my wife and I have made a stew and a slow cooker pot roast and they were absolutely delicious. We shredded the pot roast and made hot roast beaver sandwiches on a Liscio Italian roll with provolone and a pickled long hot from my garden. Good stuff! As I read in one trapping magazine article, "It's what beef wants to be."

I find it comical that Murphy vetoed a bill in 2020 to remove an antiquated statute that limits the number of beaver taken each year. Looking at Murphy's mouthful of crooked choppers, I think he may be sympathetic because he shares some DNA with the rodent world. :)

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
I have a different take on this. The community should certainly chip in and set things to right. They have equipment and muscle. I don't ever see anyone out there when I go. One reason is because the entrance is so obscure it looks like a person's yard. But really, I see this all the time. I did surveys of 20 swamp pink sites last year, from Lindenwald to Jackson, to Atlantic county and Monmouth county. 90% of the people in the local neighborhoods don't give a rat's ass about the environment in their own back yard.
Just checking back on this thread. I agree neighborhoods don't care unless you try and put something in their backyards that they don't agree with (NIMBYs). Not sure what you mean about a different take. My whole thing has been to hold the entities that preach preservation and are responsible for solid management practices to do so. I've named the two entities. NBP paid for sheet metal and my father and I replaced several sheets on the roof of the main packing building years ago after coercing the manager to do the right thing. But that was a bandaid at best and it became extremely difficult to work with the guy. Local elected officials are afraid to even go into the woods for fear of the wood tick. Which is what I ran up against. I've documented and sent photos. There's an app called alltrails.org that I logged two hiking trails on for that site so that people get out there and see it for themselves.