C3 and C4 Plants in the Pine Barrons

RPiskadlo

Dec 31, 1969
I'm a grad student at Rutgers and I have to do some research for a project I have. One of my assignments is to find out various types of C3 and C4 plants found in the Pine Barrons. I figure that this would be a good place to get started. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Ray Piskadlo

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I know quite a bit about Pine Barrens plants, but unfortunately I have no idea what C3 and C4 plants are. Can you tell us what you are talking about?

RPiskadlo

Dec 31, 1969
"C3 and C4" meaning the method by which the plants fix Carbon dioxide. Most plants in this area of the country are C3 plants. They convert CO2 into phosphoglyceraldehyde, a 3 carbon compound, during the Calvin cycle. Some plants, including corn and sugar cane, convert the CO2 into a 4 carbon compound. I was wondering if there was anyone here who could give me the names of some plants/trees/etc. from the Pine Barrons that are C3 plants and some that are C4 plants. Even if you could lead to someone that may be more familiar what what I'm asking, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again... Ray

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
They sound like Federal Status Codes used by the US Fish and Wildlife Service to define and rank rare plants. I remember there being catagories C1 through C3, but don't remember a C4. It has been a while since I have dealt with these rankings. I think C3 was plants no longer listed as endangered or threatened. There are also Global and State rankings that are widely used and developed by the Nature Conservancy. They would be G1, G2, G3, etc or S1, S2, S3 and so on. I think they both went up to 5 or 6. I could dig out my old files, which are at work, and list each plant with its various rankings but since these rankings can change over time you would want the most up to date list. The State office that handles this is the Office of Natural Lands Management, within the Division of Parks and Forestry. Again, I have their number at work, but I found the Division's main number in my phone book here at home. It is (609) 984-0370. They can connect you with Natural Lands Mgt., who should be able to send you a current list. Good luck!

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I see you clarified what you are looking for while I was posting my answer. I guess I was going down a wrong road! for that you need a botanists help. I'm sure most if not all of the ones I had at Rutgers are retired by now. sorry I can't help on that one.

RPiskadlo

Dec 31, 1969
Thanks anyways... I'm going to make a few phone calls to different Biology departments. Hopefully, that'll help. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

-RAY