Calico and Nash’s Cabin / Apple Pie Hill Tower

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Hi all. I’ve been reading the forums for a while. I began visiting the better known places like Friendship, Eagle, and Harrisville. I’ve been using Barbara Solem’s Ghost Towns book as a guide to bring along. It’s been helpful. I recently went to Martha and hiked a bit down the Batona trail.
I’ve been meaning to go to Apple Pie Hill next, but I read the Nash’s cabin thread and now I want to go back to Martha to look for “Nash’s” cabin, Calico, and the Oswego gun club.
Have any of you been allowed up the fire tower while it was manned? I want to go see it anyway, but it’s a shame if no one can enjoy that view anymore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Oswego gun club is tough to get to. I would suggest you pass on that for a while.

Reactions: TommyP

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
I have been in the tower when it was manned, I just asked ,and he let me up for a look. That being said i have been there many other times and no one is there. Guess the conditions have to be right. Its definitely worth the trip

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Thanks to both of you. I guess it’s a matter of driving up to the tower during fire season whenever I’m in the area and crossing my fingers.
The gun club is one of those things that looks “easy” on the map, so I am very glad I asked. Nash cabin is enough for one day!

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
It was rainy but I drove up to Apple Pie Hill just to do it. It was manned. I didn’t bother the person manning the tower because I wouldn’t see much, and I’m going back this week when it’s sunny, and I’ll ask then, if I’m lucky and it’s still manned. I’m betting with the recent fire, that someone is up there.

Reactions: trop81 and Boyd

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Of course I went yesterday on a sunny day and Apple Pie wasn’t manned. I’ll have to check in on sunny days when I’m up that way. It’s a fun drive up the trail, at least.
I also drove as far as I could toward Calico from Martha and then hoofed it. I read all the threads here about the bad road conditions and didn’t chance it, I made it to Cutts Road and pulled aside. I wish I’d found the coordinates for the Ellis farmstead first. I was using Barbara Solem-Stull’s book, which is good, but GPS is better. I walked right past the location, there and back! I’ll try again sometime. The road to Martha is another fun run.
I did make it to Hampton Furnace easily, those puddles aren’t as bad. And even I can’t miss the ruins with my bad eyes.
9AB8DB80-C126-48F5-80A2-5B6AEC041D28.jpeg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
With forest fire season mainly from now to the end of May, the towers are usually manned. However, when you hear on the news there is an extreme fire danger you can be sure they are manned.