Camping Hacks

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Lot of good suggestions there, but they forgot the most important one if you're a male over 50, so I'll add it.

42) Cut the top off of an empty bottle of water and keep it next to your sleeping bag at night.

Reactions: bobpbx

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Some great ones! I love #7. Going to try the starburst thing next weekend when I head out to Allaire.

But #7 says buy strike anyplace matches. Those matches have not been sold in stores for many years. You can, however, still buy them online, like from amazon.

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
I looked for a long time to buy strike anywhere matches only to conclude that they were no longer made. Last week, I went to a local outdoors store and bought a three pack of stick matches. Upon lighting the fireplace the other night, I noticed that the Diamond brand matches looked peculiar and my first thought was that they were either defective or that Diamond cheaped out on materials and at the business end of the stick they deposited a much smaller piece of the combustible "match" material. Low and behold, upon looking closer at the unused matches and at the box, I discovered they are strike anywhere matches. They are not the red ones that Diamond used to make, they are green. Who cares about the color. They perform the same. I'm glad they are still made and my three boxes should keep me supplied for a couple of years.

Reactions: Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I discovered they are strike anywhere matches. They are not the red ones that Diamond used to make, they are green. Who cares about the color. They perform the same. I'm glad they are still made and my three boxes should keep me supplied for a couple of years.

http://www.diamondbrands.com/MatchesFireStartersLighters.aspx
glAnywhere300_lg.png

They also have this, which I will have to look for. Should work well for a campfire or woodstove startup.

fireStarter48_lg.png