camping help!

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
hey! i wanna go camping just for fun with me and my friends. we dont mind roughing it for 2 days in the woods with just a tent and a campfire.

where can we camp in the barrens? what is required and what permits do we need to be legal? we would prefer to camp near an area that has canoeing but wherever we go we only have a car so no 4x4s or RV's.

thanks,
-Ben

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Check out some canoe and kayak outfitters, most of them rent canoes and kayaks for overnighters at reasonable prices. If you want a nice length hike I would suggest taking the blue/white (parrallel to the Batona) out of Batsto up to Lower Forge Campsite. With this trail you do most of the 7/8 miles right against the water for some pleasant views. Next day, if its an overnighter ,come straight back down the Batona so you switch up the scenery some. Or take the yellow trail up throught the Mullica River Wilderness and at aprox. mile 7 you can cut cross country over to Lower Forge, or stay right at the camp site there (although its less secluded.) All campgrounds require permit, stop in the local ranger station and they'll supply you with the camping permit.

Bodine Field would be good. Also there is the wilderness camping on the Mulica. You need to kayak or go hores back to get there. Just be advised that there is a campfire ban right now in the Pines and I'm sure the little bit of rain we got the other night did nothing to make it better.

Steve

MFWILLIE

Apr 10, 2006
NORTH JERSEY NEAR GIANT STADIUM
Hey Whats Up.looking To Go Camping In The Pines But Do Not Want To Drive To Far South. Want To Stay Near Forked River.are There
Any Trails Or Fire Access Roads To Get Into The Pines So My Friends And I Can Camp Out For A Weekend.if So Where Do I Go And How Do I Get There.thank You In Advance For Your Comments Or Suggestions

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
MFWILLIE,
I'm a by no means a pro on The FRM's, but I have driven some of the roads and great views abound. Don't think any camping is allowed in the area and I found them pretty hiker unfriendly. The Union Clay works and fire tower are both pretty cool in that area, but offer only off trail stuff, which is fun, but not conventional for backpacking. My suggestion is to eithier head farther south or hit the multitude of trails up by you. The Del. Water Gap, Farny Highlands, The Great Swamp, or the Highlands Trail are just a few of the options that offer a variety of hikes and camping ideas up North. Or come a little farther south and hit Wharton, Lebanon, BellePlain or Bass River for hiking/camping.
Welcome Aboard:)