Camping in the Pine Barrens

cooldude

Mar 23, 2009
Hi all,

My friends and I would like to go camping in the Pine Barrens one night this week. Could anyone tell me a good campsite to go to that you do not need a permit for and the location of it. If you can respond asap, that'd be great. Thanks!

PS: Also needs to be accessible with a car.

I was looking at (but not sure if you need any sort of permit?)

Godfrey Bridge Camping Area

Bodine Field

any others? and locations...

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Go to the Ranger Station at either Atsion or Batso, pay the $2 (it may have gone up) for the night and have a great time at Bodine Field. Please respect the site and others there and be warned that alcohol is not allowed. I've seen the Ranger ticket teens who've gotten out of hand with the booze.

cooldude

Mar 23, 2009
ok, thanks!

Can you tell me the directions of how to get there from Philadelphia? I live in NJ but close to PA. And no we do not drink.

Godfreys Bridge may be a better choice, as it's easier to find and to get to. Hawkins Bridge or Bodine Field may or may not be accessable by conventional vehicle, depending on the conditions of the road. Also they tend to be used by larger groups. (Have you considered going during the week? Most sites are all but deserted Sunday night through Thursday night this time of year.) Then you can get aquainted with the lay of the land and decide where you want to go next time. The price is right and there shouldn't be a problem. You'll have quick access to several places of interest locally, (Harrisville, Tumblin' dam, Batsto, etc.), as well as other areas on this web site. One quick point, bring all you need as there aren't too many places that can supply you with those last minute essentials (no Wawa for twenty miles and bring your own fire wood - the state usually doesnt have any at the site). Good Luck and enjoy!