Camping

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I am planning on camping in the Barrens this year. I would like to know some of the better sites to view wildlife, particularly reptiles and amphibians. I made two day trips last summer to Wharton and Carranza road and it was wonderful. Can't wait to come back!

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
IMO Lower Forge and the Mullica campsites are the better ones in Wharton. They are walk in only camps and have a more remote feeling to them.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
lost soul, that sounds nice.. i'm so sick of rv campgrounds. what are the prices like? does it have a lot of land for exploring?

They are great campsites. There is plenty of remote areas around for exploring and they are both on rivers. I've done the Mullica one tons of times. I think it's like $1 or $2 a person per night since they are "Wilderness Campsites."

Check the NJ State Parks website for more information about these places in Wharton.

Justin

srburnel

Dec 26, 2007
Seaville
Bodine Field

I am planning on camping in the Barrens this year. I would like to know some of the better sites to view wildlife, particularly reptiles and amphibians. I made two day trips last summer to Wharton and Carranza road and it was wonderful. Can't wait to come back!

Try Bodine field in Warton Stae Park. No Electric. Good quite spot. has water. Bring wood for fire. Great spot for watching stars.

Good Luck. Email at srburnel@comcast.net.

Ron

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Try Bodine field in Warton Stae Park. No Electric. Good quite spot. has water. Bring wood for fire. Great spot for watching stars.

Good Luck. Email at srburnel@comcast.net.

Ron

Bodine Field is actually best camped during this time of year, up until the summer months. I say this assuming you like to be by yourself to enjoy the peace and quiet. Once the summer months get here, its a popular spot for teens to hang out and drink, then you also have the noise of the day with the kids swimming along the banks. Last March, we parked the pop-up right along the banks of the river and had an awesome time. My wife and were the only ones there, with total piece and quiet. We've since traded the pop-up in for a TT that really won't fit back there, but still enjoy riding back there.