Can you identify this footprint?

cutevira

Sep 4, 2011
Roebling, New Jersey
My husband found these prints in the pines around Quakerbridge Road area today. He thinks its a coyote. Any ideas / confirmations? Are they the same type of print? There were a number of prints in a line around 3 feet apart. The prints looked like the animal was walking.

DSCF6320.jpg

DSCF6321.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry, I can't help.

However, I was walking behind Ed's Great Dane on Saturday at the Parker Preserve and was looking at the prints his dog left behind. They were huge, and I can see how they can be mistaken for something other than a dog.

Ed's wife and dog at the Parker Preserve

IMG_8144.JPG

Jessica

IMG_8141.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That little puppy's not even as tall as a chair seat! :D

Ask Jessica how little she is. She jumped on her and almost flattened her :) Plus, the seat is somewhat big;)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I agree with Guy,that is a bit big for a coyote but definitely a canine track.I have heard people claim they can tell the difference between a coyote track and a dog track by a single track.I cannot but I can tell by the trail.Coyotes have a place to be and a time to be there.They often use sand roads and man trails where tracks are readily visible and they do not wander on and off trail and generally act like their on vacation like a dog does.They follow roads and trails for long distances without deviating and you will find hair filled crap shaped just like a dogs at regular intervals right beside or in the road/trail of say every quarter mile or so and the tracks are not accompanied by people tracks.Fox tracks are much smaller (terrier size) and they register like a cats which is to say the hind track falls into the front and makes it look like the critter only has two legs.Coyotes almost register but not quite.Their chests are too broad like a dogs the hind track falls slightly inside or outside the front tracks.Males usually fall inside of their front tracks dueto a broader chest and narrow hips and females vice versa but this is not a given.Men usually are easy to ell from women due to larger feet and womens shoes have a much narrower arch and women take shorter strides and tend to walk on the insides of their feet to compensate for the hips while men walk on the outsides to make room for ,well you know.Men also toe out worse then women while women tend to keep their feet straighter or even toe in a little.Little kids I find impossible to tell sex on.Their both wild and free and into everything much like a domestic dogs trail,all over the place.
Al