Candles already!?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Yup, the earliest I ever started seeing "candles" forming on pitch pines. A select few trees, but disturbing nonetheless. Normally we dont start seeing them until mid-April.
marchcandles1.jpg

marchcandles2.jpg

People have already reported some crocuses coming up too. No buds on the oaks...yet. I guess I should break out the permethrin spray...ticks cant be too far behind, along with their flesh eating brothers, chiggers.:jeffd:

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It's been a mild winter. Not sure why that should be disturbing. If you've been following weather news you know that in much of the rest of the country they have had record colds. The snowpack out west is at levels not seen in quite some time.

It's weather. It changes.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
It's disturbing because the ticks and chiggers are gonna be worse than ever come spring. Plus we've been having terrible defoliation due to gypsy moth caterpillars and other loopers.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I guess we're having a language issue. Ticks and chiggers are a pain in the ass, but they aren't disturbing. Gypsy moths also aren't disturbing. When one of my kids created a MySpace profile labelling herself a 24 year-old model from Miami... that was disturbing.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Mark said:
I guess we're having a language issue. Ticks and chiggers are a pain in the ass, but they aren't disturbing. Gypsy moths also aren't disturbing. When one of my kids created a MySpace profile labelling herself a 24 year-old model from Miami... that was disturbing.

:D

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Okay maybe disturbing wasnt the right choice of words, annoying is more like it. But the gypsy moths can cause permanant damage in forests if severe outbreaks happen summer after summer.