Cannonball death raises concerns over relics hunting

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
What a tragedy. I can't imagine the horrific mess of remains left by the explosion. I sure hope his family didn't have to see that, but chances are they did.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Holy crap. I cannot imagine using a grinder or drill on anything that had even the remotest chance of having powder in it.

I used to work in the oyster business down in Maryland years ago, based out of the Eastern Shore, and it wasn't unusual for us to dredge up old balls and pieces of munitions when working along the western shore, especially in the area of Patuxent. Our skipper had some military time, and he demanded we roll them right back over, no questions asked.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I know it was the prudent thing to do, rolling them back in the water but I would have wanted to take one home. I know, I'm an idiot but that's just the history lover in me.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know it was the prudent thing to do, rolling them back in the water but I would have wanted to take one home. I know, I'm an idiot but that's just the history lover in me.

You're not alone. I would want to also. Fear of being blown to bits might make me hesitate though.