Canoeing? Closest to Maple Shade?

vfrpilot

Nov 10, 2006
Hello all -

Am looking to head out for a two or three hour canoe trip w/ my son -

Was wondering where the closest rental (with transport back) to Maple Shade is?

I've hiked the Pine Barrens in the Wharton/Basto area - backpacked overnighters & weekends - some of the Batona as well -

I live here now - But I haven't canoed [nj] aside from a recent Smithville to Mt. Holly jaunt.

Looking to re-enter today as I'm off & the weather looks good.

Any ASAP suggestions based on experience?

Thanks, in advance.

Welcome aboard vfrpilot,

Sorry I didn't see this this morning. I hope you found a place to rent a canoe. It was a great day for it.
For future reference, Adams Canoe Rental on Atsion Rd just before Rt206 is probably the closest to you. I haven't used them but how bad could they be? :D
Next would be Pine Barrens Canoe rental on Rt563 then Mick's also on Rt563.
PBC offers both kayaks and canoes and I think Mick's is just canoes but I could be wrong. On Rt542, below Batsto, is Belhaven Paddle Sports. If you own your own canoe they will drop you off and pick you up for a small fee.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Welcome aboard vfrpilot,

Sorry I didn't see this this morning. I hope you found a place to rent a canoe. It was a great day for it.
For future reference, Adams Canoe Rental on Atsion Rd just before Rt206 is probably the closest to you. I haven't used them but how bad could they be? :D
PBC offers both kayaks and canoes and I think Mick's is just canoes but I could be wrong. On Rt542, below Batsto, is Belhaven Paddle Sports. If you own your own canoe they will drop you off and pick you up for a small fee.

Steve

The last time I tried to use Adams, they only rented on the weekends.

Guy

vfrpilot

Nov 10, 2006
Thanks - but.......

Welcome aboard vfrpilot,

Steve

Thanks Steve~

I spoke to three in the area including Pine Barrens Canoe rental - They all said they were closed for the season :( except for Micks (who also called me back).
They said the water level was too high & they weren't putting anyone in the water. Although Mick's said they'd put people in yesterday (Fri) morning.
Anyway, I asked Mick's WHY the others would not have pointed me to [Micks] him ?
He said
"yea, sure they aren't going to send business my way"
Anyway, we're scheduled to hit the water this morning (Micks):cool:.

I (again) thank you for the response.
Thats what a forum community is all about!

Hey, here's a link to the slideshow of our last SMITHVILLE to MT HOLLY 5 mile run ~ you'll notice the docks decorated for halloween.

http://album.dvd-photo-slideshow.com/slides/guest/4532e10f167/canoeoct06.html

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Nice

Nice slide show of you and your son--a treasured memory--I still have pics of my son hanging up in the homestead here in FL, when he was your son's age--now he's 19, we don't canoe as much as we used to, but we always plan a trip every year here in December. Special time, father & son. Cherish them, soon they grow up, and the little boy is gone and just a memory. Blessings, David
P.S. Quantity time is as important as quality time.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
The last time I tried to use Adams, they only rented on the weekends.

Guy

True Guy,
Make note.....last summer, my daughter's boyfriend wanted to kayak. We decided to do a trip on a Thursday. I called Adam's and they said they were closed during the week, but If I had the means to transport across to the put-in spot, He would leave the kayaks, paddles & pfd's out, and he'd leave the office unlocked so we could sign the waivers. He also said he'd pick us up when he was done work. Which he did. He only charged $20 for the kayak rental & $5 to transport my boat back to Atsion. -Super nice guy, it's good to know there's still people like that.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Super nice guy, it's good to know there's still people like that.

I must concur. I have done business with him in the past and found him very accommodating. Hopefully others here have as well.
And... I actually have one of his old livery canoes. A reliable tank.

G.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Built Tuff

Yep...those old livery canoes are built like no other. Probably the same grade of aluminum as Gumman used on the albatros (sea plane)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I agree, there is nothing like those canoes. I have one that I have quite literally beaten the crap out of, and it's still purty. I never use it anymore because we have kayaks, (and we all know the fastest way to break up a relationship is to paddle one canoe together) but I just can't bring myself to sell it.