Canoing?

ChrisL

Oct 18, 2007
I was hoping to take some Scouts canoing again next week in the Barrens. Does anyone know if there is enough water in the Wading, Mullica or Batsto to do a day trip? I have some young Scouts and I don't want their trip to be mostly dragging the canoe.

We did the Wading two years ago. I haven't done the Mullica in ages, so that is my preference. Perhaps from the old campsite down to near Batsto. I will take the best river for kids, though.

Thanks
Chris

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
I was hoping to take some Scouts canoing again next week in the Barrens. Does anyone know if there is enough water in the Wading, Mullica or Batsto to do a day trip? I have some young Scouts and I don't want their trip to be mostly dragging the canoe.

We did the Wading two years ago. I haven't done the Mullica in ages, so that is my preference. Perhaps from the old campsite down to near Batsto. I will take the best river for kids, though.

Thanks
Chris
call bel-haven http://www.belhavencanoe.com/ they will let you know the conditions.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The Wading may have a few spots you have to drag over, but from my experience it holds more water in summer than other nearby rivers. The lower the stretch the better. Perhaps Evans Bridge to Beaver Branch. Short but good for kids. Another trip I like is to launch at the sand ramp on the Batsto millpond and paddle to the sawmill, portage around it, paddle down to the forks, then upstream (it's slow moving) the Mullica to the bridge. You can then walk 15 minutes to your car/truck. No shuttle! Those stretches should have plenty of water. Not sure if liveries allow it though, as I use my own boats.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Me and Whip did the wading from hawkins bridge to charcoal landing a month ago and it was very scratchy almost to godfreys bridge and a little scratchy to evans bridge.below that it was fine.
Al

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Evans to Beaver Branch will be OK, some nice beaches for a pic nic. Last week we did the Mullica from from the Mullica canoe launch near Batsto to Crowleys Landing. Lots of water, one good beach early on and abit longer than the Evans run.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
The Great Egg Harbor is a decnt river. with rides ranging from 6 hours to about and hour. It's not as remote as most Pinebarrens rivers but still is a nice ride. Most banks are hard packed, sandy bottom, one lift over as of 2 weekends ago. I may be tubing out there this weekend. Palace Resteraunt on 322 by Weymouth Furnace has the rentals.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I would check with the liveries. They would know the conditions. Evans to Beaver Branch should be ok. We were up on the Rancocas Sat. from Pemberton Dam to Ironwood, ran a ground in a few spots but didn't have to get out of the kayaks. One of the feeder streams was nothing but a mud flat.....we need rain!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Great Egg Harbor is a decnt river. with rides ranging from 6 hours to about and hour. It's not as remote as most Pinebarrens rivers but still is a nice ride. Most banks are hard packed, sandy bottom, one lift over as of 2 weekends ago. I may be tubing out there this weekend. Palace Resteraunt on 322 by Weymouth Furnace has the rentals.
yes Mudboy
forgot about the great egg.yes the run from weymouth to lake lenape is gorgeous and always has water.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I was able to paddle up the Oswego from Harrisville Lake to Martha Pond, only having to drag my kayak across the shallows but one time. A trip up the Atsion Creek from Goshen Pond to Jackson Rd. proved much more challenging, but doable and very rewarding.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I paddled Evans to Beaver Branch yesterday with a bunch of yahoos. It was a great time. The kayaks have a much easier time through the shallow spots, as we did have to get out several times to drag the canoes. That short 2 hour stretch does have some great beaches! My canoe was a little heavy due to another adult, 2 kids, and a giant cooler.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
checked the mullica out yesterday.never seen it so low but their were two canoes and a yak going down it.they said they had had trouble upstream.I let them know it got no better downstream.their first time on the river.they parked in the batsto visitor center lot.didn't even know they could park in the dirt lot next to the river south of 542.Had a half mile walk to their car after the trip.
Al