Capturing a Trip of a Lifetime

J

jackwood

All,

My local High School Marching Band (both my kids are in) has received an invitation to go to London and march in the Queen's New Years Day parade in Westminster on January 1st, 2010. The two cameras that I have are a Canon Rebel (non-digital) 35mm camera with a 35-80mm zoom lens and a 75-300mm zoom lens and a Nikon CoolPix 7900 (point and shoot) with a built in 1.8 to 23.4mm lens. Advantages of the Rebel are a wider range of photo use while the disavantages are the clumsyness of the larger (heavier) camera and having to feed film and not digital, so there is no preview of photos taken. My wife and I have debated for years about going to a digital Rebel but haven't done it yet. Thoughts? Recommendations? I especially would like some input from what would be my best option in photography of landscapes, city scapes, and the like for shooting scenes around Westminster.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
All,

My local High School Marching Band (both my kids are in) has received an invitation to go to London and march in the Queen's New Years Day parade in Westminster on January 1st, 2010. The two cameras that I have are a Canon Rebel (non-digital) 35mm camera with a 35-80mm zoom lens and a 75-300mm zoom lens and a Nikon CoolPix 7900 (point and shoot) with a built in 1.8 to 23.4mm lens. Advantages of the Rebel are a wider range of photo use while the disavantages are the clumsyness of the larger (heavier) camera and having to feed film and not digital, so there is no preview of photos taken. My wife and I have debated for years about going to a digital Rebel but haven't done it yet. Thoughts? Recommendations? I especially would like some input from what would be my best option in photography of landscapes, city scapes, and the like for shooting scenes around Westminster.

For the most adaptability and best quality, I would look at the any of the Canon entry level DSLR's to replace your film Rebel. The lenses you already own should work, I would only add something in the 18-35mm range for landscape/cityscapes, perhaps Canons 18-55 or their 18-200. The 18-200 could probably serve as your only lens for the trip. Both of these also have image stabilization. Add a circular polarizer and step up or down rings to fit all the lenses and a couple of 4GB memory cards. If you think you want to upgrade the Coolpix, take a look at the Panasonic Lumix series, in particular the DMC-TZ6. I have an earlier version and find it very handy to carry at all times; small, light weight, great zoom range(25-300mm) and excellent quality. It all depends on how much you want to spend, all suggested items can probably be obtained used. You might also want to consider a DSLR that has a video feature, the newer models do.

For me, I wouold upgrade to an entry level DSLR and the 18-200 lens, along =with the filter, for myself, and get the Panasonic for my wife to carry. As you say, it's a once in a lifetime trip.

An excellent site to shop around;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

Used Canon equipment;

http://www.keh.com/Search-Products/1/DC/0/EmptyKey/Grade/0/0/SE.aspx

Both my boys were in their high school bands; the trips they went on were always a great experience.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I've have Nikons, and also have a Rebel film camera. The best picture I ever took was from the Rebel. Although, my Nikon D90 is fantastic and as of right now will never part with it!!
In your case, I'd go with the digital Rebel. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they're a nice size to carry around for extended periods of time too.

Another place to check out is B&H photo. Very reliable vendor to do business with. www.bhphotovideo.com