Cedar Lake WMA

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Not far from home is the Cedar Lake WMA. Cedar Lake when I was growing up was a privately owned lake that had a nice swimming beach and a bath house. The owners would allow the local boy and girl scout troops use the facilities on occasion.

There is a rail bed near by that at one time the Blue Comet used. There was a hotel/stage stop along Jackson Road. Nothing remains of the buildings. However, one of the buildings was moved to Huff Farm along Jackson Rd.

The lake has pickerel and a few large mouth bass. It's also a frog and turtle haven!
Leopard Frog close up.jpgTurtle raft.jpg

Yesterday morning I took a ride and was rewarded with a beaver sighting. The beaver was feasting on pond lily flowers and paid me no mind.

Cedar Lake Beaver3.jpgCedar Lake Beaver2.jpgCedar Lake Beaver1.jpg

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
The area was also blooming with Milkweed, Butterfly Weed, Swamp Candles,and Shasta Daisies. There were a couple of flowers that I couldn't ID. They are shown here.If anyone knows what they are, please let me know.IMG_6621.jpgIMG_6601.jpg

Butterflies were nice enought to hold still so I could get their picture as well as a couple of Dragon Flies.Swift Long Winged Skimmer.jpgSwallowtail.jpg

Across the lake, Slender Bladderwort was blooming.

Slender Bladderwort1.jpg

The lake itself is "V" shaped with one part of the lake full of pond and water lilies as well as pickerel weed. The other part apparently is still deeper in sections as most of the water is still clear.

For such a small area there is a lot going on.

If anyone knows anything about the hotel/stage stop I am interested in what ever info you may have...thanks

Joyce

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Looks like a nice area to walk around. I have several spots I stop by on the way home from work. The second flower I believe is Dianthus armeria-Deptford Pink.