Cedar Water & Homebrew

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Pinelandpaddler, I wonder if it was a play on words. The kegs may have been made of cedar or toasted cedar added for a hint of flavor.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Slightly off subject and I am rambling. There are a few companies aging beer on cedar but I think most use Spanish cedar which is in the mahogany family. Cigar City is one that does this in its Humidor series. I haven't looked to see if any use white or red cedar. I don't think it would taste bad. If any thing it would add a spice flavor. Cedar would be used in secondary? It has been awhile since I put any thought into brewing.

Cedar could be good in beer, I do like the taste it adds to Salmon grilled on a plank of it.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I have some recipes I thought up for a cedar beer and have given it a whirl a few times. I still haven't found what I'm looking for, which is modest enough: A beer with a reminiscent cedar aroma. The idea is to simply throw some sprigs in the boil, and even throw some in the fermenter. It might be tough to manage, but perhaps even throw some cedar chips in the fermenter. It would be really neat to build a cask out of Atlantic White Cedar to age the beer in.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
My brothers and I brewed a Pine Ale several months back. A shot in the dark and it turned out quite good. That was with White Pine. Pitch Pine is next on the to-do list.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Have you tried toasting the cedar? You might have to approach it as an herb or spice where toasting one or the other releases the components in the oils. The toasting could be light or heavy and keep in mind this will change the flavor too. Rosemary or juniper berries are also in the same earthy flavors.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Have you tried toasting the cedar? You might have to approach it as an herb or spice where toasting one or the other releases the components in the oils. The toasting could be light or heavy and keep in mind this will change the flavor too. Rosemary or juniper berries are also in the same earthy flavors.

I don't rightly now, Gibby, but I'd think that the oils would be released in the boil. I'll have to ask chemicalcraig if toasting before boiling offers something different by way of flavor.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Dogfish Head makes 60 Minute IPA That has cedar in it
This IPA is the flagship beer of the Dogfish Head Brewery. A session India Pale Ale brewed with Warrior, Amarillo & 'Mystery Hop X.' A powerful East Coast I.P.A. with a lot of citrusy hop character and cedar, citrus pine, floral and candied-orange flavors. The session beer for beer geeks like us! Spicy foods, pesto, grilled salmon, soy-based dishes, vintage cheddar and pizza are the perfect compliment to this commanding IPA.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/60-minute-ipa.htm

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Dogfish Head makes 60 Minute IPA That has cedar in it
This IPA is the flagship beer of the Dogfish Head Brewery. A session India Pale Ale brewed with Warrior, Amarillo & 'Mystery Hop X.' A powerful East Coast I.P.A. with a lot of citrusy hop character and cedar, citrus pine, floral and candied-orange flavors. The session beer for beer geeks like us! Spicy foods, pesto, grilled salmon, soy-based dishes, vintage cheddar and pizza are the perfect compliment to this commanding IPA.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/60-minute-ipa.htm

Dogg, there isn't actually cedar in the 60 Minute IPA. Terms like "cedar" and "citrus" merely describe the tastes imparted by the hops.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Dogg, there isn't actually cedar in the 60 Minute IPA. Terms like "cedar" and "citrus" merely describe the tastes imparted by the hops.
Was drink some the other day when I pulled some bark out of my bottle:confused: