Cemetery tour

B

bach2yoga

Oh, I love old cemeteries!!!! That's an absolute count me in!
Renee

B

BarryC

I'm into it! My first outing I ever set up for my group was a cemetery tour. Great idea.
bunnymom3 said:
I was wondering if their was anyone else into visiting old cemeteries in the Pine Barrens area. Maybe we could make a get together of it one weekend.

Nykki

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
I'm into it! My first outing I ever set up for my group was a cemetery tour. Great idea.
bunnymom3 said:

I thought it was with me and Keith, we did Nash's and Washington, etc in the cold. Then a bit warmer we met at Pleasant Mills church and visited tons of places. That was a great trip, one that I will never forget!
Renee

B

BarryC

Oh you're right. I get them mixed up, timewise. :)
bach2yoga said:
BarryC said:
bunnymom3 said:

I thought it was with me and Keith, we did Nash's and Washington, etc in the cold. Then a bit warmer we met at Pleasant Mills church and visited tons of places. That was a great trip, one that I will never forget!
Renee

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Hope this would be the most appropriate place for the following idea related to cemeteries ...

Have any of you members ever been interested in tombstone transcriptions of cemeteries within or close to the Pine Barrens? Maybe this activity may not be familiar to some of you, so I'll explain as best I can. This is primarily an activity related to genealogical research, but proves quite interesting to many who are interested in exploring old cemeteries.

What it involves, simply stated, is someone taking inventory of all the tombstones in a particular cemetery, noting names, dates of birth and death, and sometimes epitaths thereon. The resulting lists are subsequently posted on the web, most likely through the person named on the web site for the particular county involved.

While some cemeteries are huge and contain thousands of "permanent residents", there are also many small ones with only a few graves. Many of them are not even listed under the appropriate county, while other historically significant ones have yet to be transcribed. An example of one unlisted is the family cemetery located in Double Trouble State Park - this would be a very easy one to transcribe, apparently.

If this activity seems interesting to anyone, you might refer to their web site for New Jersey:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/newjer.html

B

bach2yoga

aserdaten said:
Hope this would be the most appropriate place for the following idea related to cemeteries ...

Have any of you members ever been interested in tombstone transcriptions of cemeteries within or close to the Pine Barrens? Maybe this activity may not be familiar to some of you, so I'll explain as best I can. This is primarily an activity related to genealogical research, but proves quite interesting to many who are interested in exploring old cemeteries.

What it involves, simply stated, is someone taking inventory of all the tombstones in a particular cemetery, noting names, dates of birth and death, and sometimes epitaths thereon. The resulting lists are subsequently posted on the web, most likely through the person named on the web site for the particular county involved.

While some cemeteries are huge and contain thousands of "permanent residents", there are also many small ones with only a few graves. Many of them are not even listed under the appropriate county, while other historically significant ones have yet to be transcribed. An example of one unlisted is the family cemetery located in Double Trouble State Park - this would be a very easy one to transcribe, apparently.

If this activity seems interesting to anyone, you might refer to their web site for New Jersey:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/newjer.html

I have seen them before. When I visited the cemeteries that Guy was wondering about near Atsion I came across those, and used them in my poking around to look for them.

It is a neat idea. I hadn't really thought of doing it myself.

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
aserdaten said:
Have any of you members ever been interested in tombstone transcriptions of cemeteries within or close to the Pine Barrens?

It would be something that I would be interested in doing, but my other interests take up most of my time. I am signed up on a website to go look for any particular grave in the area that someone out of the area needs to find. But in the 5 years I have been signed up, I have not been contacted to look for one.

Guy

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Thanks for the feedback from my early Sunday posting. My computer has been down since shortly after then, being just restored late this afternoon.

I thought that this might be an interesting project that could possibly be handled as a team effort, just like the FRM cleanups. Surprisingly only a very small percentage of cemeteries have been transcribed in the Pine Barrens area, and I'm sure members have discovered quite a few not listed at all on the GenWeb site.

With the use of digital cameras, this could be a quick project for a small cemetery, and the membership could credit it to the organization for some favorable publicity. I know that quite a few of you have already posted numerous pics of interesting tombstones, so there is some interest there already.

Can only add that if I were still living up in NJ I would want to try doing that, and might still try it down here in Volusia County. Of course, would first have to perfect my digicam techniques, but that shouldn't take more than a few more months ... or years! The older you get, the harder these "simple" tasks can be. But I will try!