Champion & Heritage Trees in NJ Calendar

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So I go to work today and a man I work with comes up to me and tells me his wife purchased the NJ Forest Service map (update...calendar, not map) on champion trees. She sits down and starts transferring her 2019 info to the new calendar and June is incorrect. They start June 1 on the wrong day and it continues up to June 7 and then they add a second June 7 to correct the problem. From that point on all is well. To be fair, I have not had the chance to view this and I am only telling you what I heard. Anyone have one of the forest service maps?

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Map or calendar? If calendar, I'll check Monday. They have a supply at the Bass River forest office, $10 each. (Price set by Forest Service.)

Don't know. Does the map have a calendar???

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Let's start over. The Forest Service produced a 2020 wall calendar, I think the title is Champion and Heritage Trees, like this thread title. Unlike the Pinelands Commission calendar, which is free, Forest Service wants $10 each. They are available for sale at some state park & forest offices. As far as I know they are not selling very well. Is this what your coworker's wife bought? Or was it a map? Your top post says map, and calendar. I don't know anything about a map. If she bought a calendar, and it is the one I think, I can find out Monday if it was misprinted, and maybe get someone to ask if there will be refunds.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, map is incorrect. I did not even realize I wrote that. He said calendar. I will alter that..

Let me know what you find out.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Yes, she's correct.
Oops... That must be embarrassing. June should start on Monday, and I'm pretty sure there aren't 2 June 7ths.
Forest Service was notified, and we'll see how they respond.
I think she should try to get her money back. Then ask for one of the free Pinelands Commission calendars instead.
june-error.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I told him today that you were checking into it. He laughed knowing what you would find. I also contacted the Forest Service on the weekend and they responded today saying "I will let all necessary parties know and we will take a closer look."

They won't need a magnifying glass. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't personally. However, we do have one hanging up where all of our doctors and other appointments are listed. This allows my wife to make sure I don't miss them :bang:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I use paper ones that are custom made. I have my daughter get it for me for Christmas. Each December I plan 12 photos for the previous year to be shown each month. I hang them and then save the calendars. It's like a huge scrap book showing what was nice about that year.

If it was me, if that was all that was wrong with the calendar, I'd fix June with a magic marker and move on.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I use paper ones that are custom made. I have my daughter get it for me for Christmas. Each December I plan 12 photos for the previous year to be shown each month. I hang them and then save the calendars. It's like a huge scrap book showing what was nice about that year.

If it was me, if that was all that was wrong with the calendar, I'd fix June with a magic marker and move on.

That is what the woman who found the problem did.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I make my own using Shutterfly. A different theme every year. This year pictures of our picnic's in the pines. I hang it on the wall by the back door where we can see the whole month at a glance. We write in when there is an appointment or event. I save the calendars and have a history of the year.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I feel alone in the valley of the dinosaurs. :D

Seriously, I understand the appeal of hard-copy calendars and used them myself for over 60 years. My ex and I always gave each other nice calendars for Christmas. Knowing how tech-phobic she is, I actually gave her a calendar two years ago when we went to our daughter's home for Christmas.

But (for me) a calendar is just a way to remind me of important things, and I'm completely convinced that digital is better - just like writing, drafting, photography, music, video and just about everything. Always available, wherever you are. Automatically reminds you of what is needed, is easily edited, is backed up so it can't get lost, etc.

Was just thinking about this last month, some local business sent me a "refrigerator calendar" and I stuck it on the door. A day later, I stopped and wondered why I had bothered. Ripped it off and threw it in the trash....

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's great Bob. But the composition of your photo says it all.... you chopped off the calendar part! And you also have it flipped to March, so you don't realize you're already late for that meeting this afternoon. :p

Like I said, I understand the appeal of hard-copy. I've got this picture of my granddaughter right here for inspiration. :)

IMG_6422.JPG

Yet digital is just a better medium for many things. But I could save a lot of time and money if I went back to paper maps and shutdown my websites, and Ben could do the same and replace NJPB with a newsletter and "letters to the editor" section. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate and bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm so proud of her (and her parents)! She was selected from 30,000 applicants and is now at the top of her class in her first year at Ballet Tech, already on a career path to be a professional dancer at the age of nine - which is just amazing (and a bit scary...). :)