Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs Search All of NJ This Site
title2006left.gif

transparent.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Contact%20Us_r2_c1.jpg
spacer.gif
Home |
About us | Contact us | Links
spacer.gif
CF_r4_c4.gif
spacer.gif
CF_r5_c1.gif
CF_r5_c3.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
The New Jersey Community Forestry program ensures more livable communities through the care and management of trees.

These plates plant trees - proceeds support shade tree planting and care in New Jersey streets.

Arbor Day Seedlings*
*To view this form, please download the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat

Community Forestry Newsletters

spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
transparent.gif
Contact DEP | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement

transparent.gif
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search
transparent.gif

transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is timely Tom. I was going to tell you abou this one.

Sweetgum 362 18' 11" Champion Burlington Dennis Petrham Fort Dix Army Base 227 108 10

I was coming home from PA on Sunday, and was about 1/4 mile north of our old high school and I had to pee. I was looking for a good place and saw a little fence on the west side of the road at the margin of the woods, and this enormous gum tree came into view. The only thing I had to measure it with is my hand. My hand is 8" from thumb tip to pinky tip. I came within 2" of this circumference measurement.

It is not actually on the base.

In fact, here it is from Bing:

Sweet_Gum.PNG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This is timely Tom. I was going to tell you abou this one.

Sweetgum 362 18' 11" Champion Burlington Dennis Petrham Fort Dix Army Base 227 108 10

I was coming home from PA on Sunday, and was about 1/4 mile north of our old high school and I had to pee. I was looking for a good place and saw a little fence on the west side of the road at the margin of the woods, and this enormous gum tree came into view. The only thing I had to measure it with is my hand. My hand is 8" from thumb tip to pinky tip. I came within 2" of this circumference measurement.

It is not actually on the base.

In fact, here it is from Bing:

you didn't pee on it did you?I'd hate to see it die after it's very long life:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Hey thanks! Thats a nice file you found there.I live right down the street from the biggest hickory in nj but I haven't been there since the late 80's.It was dead then and starting to drop limbs.It's actually on sand plant property but they never discouraged visitors.t was next to an old cellar hole and probably took at least three people to give it a hugWe're also supposed to have the state champion white cedar down here.I've seen a pic of it but upon emailing the photographer he lied to me and told me he forgot where it was.I know what swamp it's in and it's thick.Looked for it once and couldn't find it.
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, I peed behind the tree, but not on it. Due to the size of the tree, a car could not see me for 400 yards in either direction as they approached.

I smell a road trip! We should go and visit as many as we can in one day. Kind of like a marathon.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I would like to see some of these trees. I would really like to see the cedar in Bass River! Some of the Monmouth County trees I could check out while I am working.

I see the site is still under constuction. I wounder if Jeffs Mutha and my Freak Cedar could be registered under the trees of interest?

Chris

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Al, I peed behind the tree, but not on it. Due to the size of the tree, a car could not see me for 400 yards in either direction as they approached.

I smell a road trip! We should go and visit as many as we can in one day. Kind of like a marathon.

Great idea, similar to the Lighthouse challenge where you get a stamp for each lighthouse visited, except this could have a minor variation. Instead of stamps, contestants will pee behind each tree and take a picture of the wetspot. The winner with the most wetspots wins a case of beer to replace all that was consumed during the contest. :guinness: