Changes at Chairville?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Had some time to kill yesterday in Medford. Decided to drive past Chairville cemetery and drive up Sandtown Rd and past Kirbys Mill and finally to check on the progress at the Dr. Stills historic site. I went to pull in front of the cemetery but now it is all fenced in with a black metal fence. There were signs that said no trespassing private property. I did not take a picture because a large truck was right behind me so I just kept driving.

Reactions: Teegate

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is this the same place that's called "Peacock Cemetery" on the map?

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.16.23 PM.png

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.899119/-74.788454/pines2020/0.00/0.00

@manumuskin - The NJDEP openspace dataset includes some cemeteries, the Veterans Cemetery in Estell Manor Park is one example. But aside from that, I'd be surprised if there were some law that said you had to allow public access to every cemetery, seems like that would be up to the owner of the property. But I am often surprised. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Looking at your map then yes, it is the same as Peacock. However, just to clarify things. It may not have said private property, maybe it said private cemetery? Does anyone live near there to verify?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Looking at your map then yes, it is the same as Peacock. However, just to clarify things. It may not have said private property, maybe it said private cemetery? Does anyone live near there to verify?
Apparently it is privately owned. Check out the article

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt anyone would complain if you visited. I have walked in there.