Charles Hartman maps/Cumberland Furnace

B

bach2yoga

Anyone have access to the Charles Hartman maps?

BTW, Alan Mounier (archeaologist) went to the historic preservation office yesterday and found a map of the entire village of Cumberland...

We can't lose this property (Cumberland Furnace)... Alan believes that it is the most culturally significant site in Cumberland County to date.

Renee

B

BarryC

I wonder why the people of Cumberland made so many Bog Iron gravemarkers in their cemetery? Interesting, huh? That's 25 versus 6 at Weymouth and 8 at Batsto/Pleasant Mills. Boy would I love to see that map!
You are absolutely right. We cannot lose that property.

bach2yoga said:
Anyone have access to the Charles Hartman maps?

BTW, Alan Mounier (archeaologist) went to the historic preservation office yesterday and found a map of the entire village of Cumberland...

We can't lose this property (Cumberland Furnace)... Alan believes that it is the most culturally significant site in Cumberland County to date.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
I wonder why the people of Cumberland made so many Bog Iron gravemarkers in their cemetery? Interesting, huh? That's 25 versus 6 at Weymouth and 8 at Batsto/Pleasant Mills. Boy would I love to see that map!
You are absolutely right. We cannot lose that property.

Jane Galletto of US endangered wildlife and nongame or whatever it is invited me over for a couple of hours this morning and we poured over old maps. Some of them were the maps of the Charles Hartman collection, and there were many other interesting maps as well. The post re: Bayside came from a book she gave me, and she has loaned me some other wonderful things.
I hope to upload a portion of one of the maps later this evening, if I can win the kickboxing match with my computer.
The kids computer is Windows 98, and the scanner is not compatible with mine, Windows XP. But their computer didn't have enough RAM? for the digital, so that particular computer is still on dial-up...needless to say, it is a laborious process. :comp:
Alan Mounier has asked me to accompany him to the Cumberland site next week, and armed with old maps, topos, aerials, books, and GPS' we hope to find more of this village, which, like most furnace towns, boasted a saw mill, a grist mill, 2 forges, a company store, a school, worker's housing, etc. This is really quite exciting for me, and the developer's archeaologist is a colleague of Alan's, he thinks it is likely I will be able to stay abreast of everything as it happens. It has been overwhelming, nonetheless, since Monday's speech at the meeting...I've had well over a hundred emails regarding this topic, and phone calls as well.

I also found a BUNCH of new places down here to look for, too, that should interest you and Al.

A Swedish cemetery that has bones sticking up out of the ground as it is being claimed by the river, several other cemeteries, several other furnaces and other industries that date back to the 1700 and early 1800s.

And it turns out that the people who live at the house with the driveway into Fries Mill where the TNC property is? I know his wife, Dr. Ward-Garrison, I worked with her at the Y, and she spoke Monday night as well. I don't think I would have any problem getting permission to go in there.

Oh, and it turns out the Charles Hartman map collection is available at the Rutgers library, but I haven't been able to find it online.

I think the fun part of all of this is the networking, getting to meet so many wonderful people, with brains that I could just sit and pick for hours!!!

Sorry...getting a little excited over here...I tend to do that...I just love this stuff!

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Renee,

Maybe if you do some digging here http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/page1links.html you will find something on the Charles Hartman maps.

Steve

Thanks, Steve, I did try that site. I may have missed it, I spent about an hour going through maps there, there were some wonderful maps in there, but I didn't see the Hartman maps. :(

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I doubt that you'll find the Hartman maps online. Any old maps of NJ that have been digitized are on my site already. I've spent a ton of time looking for more and don't believe that there are any.

Renee, if we go to 10MH on Sunday, you'll be close to my house. If you want to stop by we can scan whatever you want here. I can also put it on CD for you to use on your computer.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I doubt that you'll find the Hartman maps online. Any old maps of NJ that have been digitized are on my site already. I've spent a ton of time looking for more and don't believe that there are any.

Renee, if we go to 10MH on Sunday, you'll be close to my house. If you want to stop by we can scan whatever you want here. I can also put it on CD for you to use on your computer.

I appreciate that, but unfortunately I did not bring the full scale maps home with me. I did make copies of portions of the couple of maps that were pertinent to my quest. Had I known I would have borrowed the whole maps!!! :bang:

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I'll take that back - there are a ton that I don't have online yet. I'm going to be busy snagging those.

What did you find?
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you notice on the Ocean County map and others on that site, it shows three dwellings at Union Clay Works, with one being on the other side of the road.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see at least one interesting place on one of the maps that I am going to visit in the coming weeks.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
I see at least one interesting place on one of the maps that I am going to visit in the coming weeks.

Guy

mystery...drama...excitement...off on another adventure! Sounds like fun!
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The Ocean County map is really great. First off, it shows Karl's Pancoastal Highway going all the way from Waretown to Shamong. Second, it shows the Cedar Bridge school all the way down in Stafford Township. Weird.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
It also shows Apple Pie Hill as "Goveners Hill".

Steve

Steve,

Actually, it is not showing Apple Pie Hill as Governors Hill, it is showing the higher elevation just south of the JCRR and just East of Pioneer Smelting. Apple Pie Hill is just off the left of the map just above where it says Harris Station. The checkerboard area is Shamong later to become Chatsworth.

Here is the area in question on Topozone. It is right near the off road park. You can notice the rise in the road as you travel past the off road park.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&am...50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Renee,
would this swedish graveyard be in leesburg in a field called bacons?I know the area and have found pieces of skull there.the other end of the field is a hotbed of indian relics especially arrowheads.The small bluff that drops off to the river and the riverbed itsself at low tide yields artifacts as well as the occasional piece of dead swede.They found that graveyard i believe in the 70"s when the owner plowed the field and turned up bones.
Al