Chatsworth Lake

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
The water level at Chatsworth Lake is down several feet. A large percentage of the lake bottom in now high and dry. It appears that much of the sand where the spill way runs has been washed away. I wonder if it will be an easy fix or something that may take some time to repair. Not only is the lake historic but it also among the more notable vistas in the pines. Hard to believe that the body of water started as a saw mill pond more than 250 years ago! That it later served as the Union Forge pond and as the focal point of the Chatsworth Club makes the place all the more significant.

Reactions: Longleaf Piney

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I made a stop at Burnt Bridge this past week. I noticed that the water level was way down on the upstream side. I never saw it that low. The 'never wets' that come up from the water at this time of the year, were on exposé mud flats. The beaver dam on the opposite side was broken though. Just my observation at this location.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
My brother Tom and I went to Chatsworth Lake this past Saturday. We fished from sandy shore lines that are normally under water. While we fished, we picked up bottles that were thrown into the lake in years past. We ended up with 10 bags of bottles and cans. Hopefully we'll continue to clean it up some before the spill way is repaired.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Yup, it's been low before. Kind of neat to see the sand "islands" that I've gotten out of my canoe and waded when the level was normal.

Longleaf Piney

Feb 12, 2018
Volusia County, FL
My brother Tom and I went to Chatsworth Lake this past Saturday. We fished from sandy shore lines that are normally under water. While we fished, we picked up bottles that were thrown into the lake in years past. We ended up with 10 bags of bottles and cans. Hopefully we'll continue to clean it up some before the spill way is repaired.
Glad to hear you and Tom got out. Always loved Chatsworth Lake.

Longleaf Piney

Feb 12, 2018
Volusia County, FL
Glad to hear you and Tom got out. Always loved Chatsworth Lake.
The water level at Chatsworth Lake is down several feet. A large percentage of the lake bottom in now high and dry. It appears that much of the sand where the spill way runs has been washed away. I wonder if it will be an easy fix or something that may take some time to repair. Not only is the lake historic but it also among the more notable vistas in the pines. Hard to believe that the body of water started as a saw mill pond more than 250 years ago! That it later served as the Union Forge pond and as the focal point of the Chatsworth Club makes the place all the more significant.
Any hope the spillway will be repaired? I always hated to see the levels low like that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Any hope the spillway will be repaired? I always hated to see the levels low like that.
Lengthy read.

Longleaf Piney

Feb 12, 2018
Volusia County, FL

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Although a generous offer by Bill Haines to do a rapid repair, if I were him I'd not do that, not on a heavily traveled roadway. Too many legal traps that could bind him in the future. Maybe if there was a hold-harmless agreement written up by attorneys.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Although a generous offer by Bill Haines to do a rapid repair, if I were him I'd not do that, not on a heavily traveled roadway. Too many legal traps that could bind him in the future. Maybe if there was a hold-harmless agreement written up by attorneys.

True, but what better person to fix it.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see they have equipment at the lake and are digging at the dam. Soon I expect it will be full again.

Reactions: Boyd