Chicken in a Sock

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I definitely have some reservations about this "scientific method".

What might they be Bob? It is probably the most benign method of study for a critter as elusive as a Fisher. We had one of their eastern relatives(Martes pennanti) we would see every winter near our cabin. The article is a tad misleading as there is no species named Pacific Fisher.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, for starters, these critters are not used to chewing through socks. It may damage their mouth (even leave 'em hanging by a tooth) and change their behavior, which is never a good thing. Also, it's often not enjoyable for people trying to enjoy the wilderness to come across a nice large tree with a smelly sock filled with rotting chicken, not to mention the stupid scale nailed to the tree.

PS: if anyone thinks those scientists will pull all that crap down when their "study" is over, think again. I always find those stupid plastic drift fences and stakes, and even the traps at the end in the woods years after the study ends.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well, for starters, these critters are not used to chewing through socks. It may damage their mouth (even leave 'em hanging by a tooth) and change their behavior, which is never a good thing. Also, it's often not enjoyable for people trying to enjoy the wilderness to come across a nice large tree with a smelly sock filled with rotting chicken, not to mention the stupid scale nailed to the tree.

PS: if anyone thinks those scientists will pull all that crap down when their "study" is over, think again. I always find those stupid plastic drift fences and stakes, and even the traps at the end in the woods years after the study ends.

:rolleyes: