Chicken Soup

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had not made turkey or chicken soup in 3 years. I missed it. 11 quarts to freeze today. So convenient with rolls and butter. I got busy when I saw shoprite had fresh soup at a whopping $5.99 for an 8 ounce serving. Even using 16 ounce servings as a guide, my 16 oz servings are $1.80 each (okay $2.00 with vehicle and cooking gas). Plus, I cooked a whole chicken, giving me 4 more dinners.

Do you make it?

1705349494981.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BJ's has this product which I really like, and does not bother me that much. It's great on a soft roll with light mustard, or even better cut up and mixed with saurkraut in the frying pan.

1705496648040.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I take kielbasa (the big "rings" from Hillshire, Boars Head, etc, haven't tried your brand), poke it with a fork a bunch of times and marinate in beer for several hours. Cook on the grill, serve on a sub roll with mustard and onions.

Soup? It's great but I don't have it often, when I do it's from a can. During the pandemic I cooked all my meals for a year and a half. Enough of that! Refrigerator is mostly empty now and I get take-out. I love cooking for family and friends, not so much when it's just for me. Would rather spend the time writing code, making maps or wandering in the woods. :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I take kielbasa (the big "rings" from Hillshire, Boars Head, etc, haven't tried your brand), poke it with a fork a bunch of times and marinate in beer for several hours. Cook on the grill, serve on a sub roll with mustard and onions.

Soup? It's great but I don't have it often, when I do it's from a can. During the pandemic I cooked all my meals for a year and a half. Enough of that! Refrigerator is mostly empty now and I get take-out. I love cooking for family and friends, not so much when it's just for me. Would rather spend the time writing code, making maps or wandering in the woods. :D
That sounds good, but the onions tear me up now. But even when I had keilbasa, I never had it with onions.

I rarely eat out. I usually eat my own plain cooking as I don't like how salty and doctored up take out is, though I have a slice of pizza at least once a week, and jersey mikes is great for a hoagie (yes, that's my term for it from old days in Burlington County).

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
Wow! Although I'd have to take a pill like famatodine to eat that, I'd do it. Are those jalapenos?
Famatodine is my middle name.

There is one jalapeño in that pot, but it was chopped so thinly it’s not visible. The green you’re seeing is diced okra. I know a lot of people don’t like okra, so it can be omitted. I also don’t add rice to my jambalaya. I keep it on the side and let people add as much or as little rice as they would like.

I make my jambalaya pretty mild because everybody has different tolerances for hot food. If somebody wants it hotter, they can just add hot sauce. You have to chop a bunch of vegetables for this dish, but it tastes great and it freezes well. It is more expensive to make than chicken soup because it has 1-1/2 pounds of shrimp, 14oz andouille sausage and a pound of chicken thighs.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Famatodine is my middle name.

There is one jalapeño in that pot, but it was chopped so thinly it’s not visible. The green you’re seeing is diced okra. I know a lot of people don’t like okra, so it can be omitted. I also don’t add rice to my jambalaya. I keep it on the side and let people add as much or as little rice as they would like.

I make my jambalaya pretty mild because everybody has different tolerances for hot food. If somebody wants it hotter, they can just add hot sauce. You have to chop a bunch of vegetables for this dish, but it tastes great and it freezes well. It is more expensive to make than chicken soup because it has 1-1/2 pounds of shrimp, 14oz andouille sausage and a pound of chicken thighs.
Yeah, that sounds good. I don't like okra, but that can easily be skipped with the ladle. My brother Dan lives in northern louisiana, and I tried the local sausage. It's really savory.