#^$%@%!* chiggers!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My daughter's family was visiting last weekend and I was very concerned that my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter would get chigger bites. She lives in NYC and just goes wild when she comes here, running all around in the woods. So we were pretty careful to keep her in the mowed grass, and when we went on a walk in the woods it was followed by a shower.

So it turned out fine - neither my daughter or granddaughter had any bites in spite of their bare legs and sandals. But I should have followed my own advice. I just counted 35 bites on my left foot and ankle, plus a bunch of others on my legs and right foot. I should know better. :mad:

Oh well, I guess the summer just isn't complete without at least one run-in with chiggers.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Boyd, I always have chigger bites somewhere on my body. They have been even worse now that I have been spending more time in damp grassy areas. I get strange looks from people when I am in flip flops and not wearing my field boots. The probably think I am a junkie of some sort from all of the marks on my legs.

The little bastards don't even bother me anymore. I must have built up a tolerance to them because their bites no longer itch, but their bites still leave a tiny red welts that last for days.

Chigger and deer flies...dreadful creatures.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Me and the dog got them real bad the other day. Scrubbed my legs with Epsom salts and rinsed them in Cool Mint Antiseptic Listerine.