Child is attacked by Coyote in Middletown

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1176181820100920.xml&coll=1

Heard about this one on 101.lies this morning. Of course they allow anyone to spread lies, half truths, and misinformation at random. Some hysterical woman called up going on and on about how pratically every animal in New Jersey was brought here by Fish and Wildlife and that they created the coyote problem. Where do they get these idiots? She then proceeded to talk about how vicious wild turkeys now overpopulate the state and that they weren't native to New Jersey in the first place.

Apparently 101.5 isn't content with building hysteria against everything else in this state-now they want to make sure that angry idiots without a clue march to Fish and Game with torches and pitchforks... :rolleyes:

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
My Dad and I were arguing about this on Sunday. He too believes that Fish and Game has planted all of the coyotes and bears. Even if this is the case (and I haven't seen any evidence that it is the case) I say that it's a good thing. There is no doubt that an abundance of wild turkey has been placed all over by Fish and Game, but the coyotes have to eat too, don't they?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
According to the article in the paper coyotes have been around in New Jersey since the 1950s. I knew that Fish and Game had re-introduced turkeys, but its not as if they had never been here at all. And vicious? lol

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I find it hard to believe that fish and game would plant bears and coyotes anywhere in this state. Bears simply crossed the watergap and started populating new jersey. As for coyotes with the amount of deer we have here something needs to control their population. Also the key thing is that they barely touch upon is some buffoon fed the animal days before. Now the animal gets persecuted because some idiot fed it and now suprise, it has no fear of humans....duh. Also can someone explain to me how your an adult with a 11 year old uncle and a five year old sister....how's that work?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You lost me there....

I think he's referencing this part of the newspaper article:
The coyote tried to drag the boy away, but the toddler's 11-year-old uncle, along with some cousins, began to scream.

There are really a LOT of wild turkeys around this year, I see them every day. A couple days ago I came across about a dozen of them in the woods behind my house. Phew - good thing they didn't "attack" me! :) But it was a really funny sight to watch them running away from me single file down a narrow trail.... now I really understand what it means to call somebody a "turkey."

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
Badfish, I thought coyotes were native to the pines...

?
The coyote native range was the south west, but when the wolf was kill off and drven out years ago the coyote moved in to their range.. Out west where wolf populations are making a come back they kill the cyote because they are compitition for food.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The coyote native range was the south west, but when the wolf was kill off and drven out years ago the coyote moved in to their range.. Out west where wolf populations are making a come back they kill the cyote because they are compitition for food.

Just to add, the eastern coyote is acually a hybrid between the gray wolf and western coyote (according to leading theories). the eastern coyotes size is inbetween that of the western coyote and grey wolf. There is a theory that the eastern wolf of the pre-civilized east coast were the same animal.

Jeff

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
Just to add, the eastern coyote is acually a hybrid between the gray wolf and western coyote (according to leading theories). the eastern coyotes size is inbetween that of the western coyote and grey wolf. There is a theory that the eastern wolf of the pre-civilized east coast were the same animal.

Jeff

the last two coyotes we saw up here were running as a pair, one as big as a large german shepard the other slightly smaller

i first mistook them for wolves they seemed so large

the only reason we saw them was that they realy stood out against the snow

my neighbor also stated the were a mix of wolf and coyote, and there are alot of them up here as well as foxes and they don't seem to have hurt the turky population here, turkeys are all over here in large "heards" as i call them

i have never heard of any coyote attacks on young children up here.....but they have plenty of room and other food sources

we have coyote tracks in our back yard all the time, but they are seldom seen since it is open hunting for them year round, they are very wery of people and vehicles

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I've also heard that our eastern coyotes are a hybrid between classic coyotes and a wolf species, but I thought it was red wolves that they mixed with. I'm pretty sure red wolves were the native eastern wolves - which are smaller and much more coyote-like than the grays.

Interestingly enough, before they officially went exctinct in the wild, a number of them were captured and a breeding program was started. I know they're being released in a number of places in the east - there's actually a small island not far from me that's being used as a sort of contained breeding program for red wolves.

The population on the island is supported mainly by razorbacks - which are incredibly prolific - allowing the wolf population to grow unchecked. The only limiting factor on the island is space, which ceases to be a problem as florida F&G periodically takes wolves to be reintroduced elsewhere.

kind of a digression but i thought it might interest someone other than myself . . .