Clam Factory

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
While at Forsythe NWR on 24 Jun 2017 Ro took a picture of the clam factory ruins, with the fish factory ruins in the background.
When did the clam factory stop operations?
Why was it built on two joined barges and not on an island?
Why was it built ut on the water - if on shore it would have made workers' commute MUCH easier.
Clam Factory.jpg

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
The Husky clam hatchery ceased operations around 2000. It was built on Hughes barges back in the late 70's. At that time the builder/ owner also attempted raising clams on leased bottom adjacent to the barge. He was an early experimenter/pioneer and had many different locations that he used through the years including the Fish Products property on 7 bridges road (Great Bay Blvd) by Little Sheepshead Creek.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
While at Forsythe NWR on 24 Jun 2017 Ro took a picture of the clam factory ruins, with the fish factory ruins in the background.
When did the clam factory stop operations?
Why was it built on two joined barges and not on an island?
Why was it built ut on the water - if on shore it would have made workers' commute MUCH easier.
View attachment 9275
I know little about it's history, but if I were to guess I would suspect it had something to do with permits or property taxes. Probably both.

Reactions: h2ochild

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
The major constraints for a clam hatchery in NJ are seawater of the proper salinity, free from pollutants. This limits siting to bayfront locations. Then the issues of local zoning become problematic. Not much Agricultural or Marine Commercial zoning exists within those parameters. The cost of waterfront property is another impediment. Taxes and permits are a recent impediment as well.

Reactions: smoke_jumper