Clark's Landing

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I recently found the graves at Clark's Landing; that was quite an adventure. What exactly was Clark's Landing though, a town or just his home? And was it named after Thomas Clark who's buried there, or another Clark? I've tried looking up information about the place a few times, but all I can come up with is Mr. Clark's genealogy and a marina in Pt. Pleasant.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I saw this page already. It gives some good info, but I'm trying to find out what exactly Clark's Landing was. Was it a town or just his home? There has to be some significance here because the place is named after his family. Maybe his family was the only one here?

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
Stu said:
I saw this page already. It gives some good info, but I'm trying to find out what exactly Clark's Landing was. Was it a town or just his home? There has to be some significance here because the place is named after his family. Maybe his family was the only one here?

Okay, I think I got what you are looking for...

Apparently, Ruth was Thomas' second wife. His first wife, Hannah, was the mother of his four sons. She died about 1735. Her and Thomas had four sons--Thomas, David, Samuel and Elijah. I am telling you all of this because it turns out the oldest son, Thomas, founded at least Clark's Mill's but his father may have been the one to name it Clark's Landing...named after the family. Here's my source and let me know if it's what you were looking for. If not, I am making a trip up to Trenton vital statistics next week and will look it up.

'Jersey Genesis', Henry Charlton Beck
page 223

"..."Clark's Mills, you see," Mrs. Blake hurried on, "had been established by Thomas Clark, the older brother of Colonel Elijah and David Clark. Three sons of Thomas* settled Clark's Landing on the Mullica. Thomas himself built Clark's Mills, and that is Port Republic now. David retained the old homestead even when Elijah, the more practical man, sensed more activity up at The Forks..."

*I'm assuming this is "Jr."

The page goes on to say that "Thomas Clark built the Clark's Mills Meeting House at the clearing along the creek that in time became Port Republic. This, she said, was in 1762.".

Hope this helps...

Heather in SJ