Collier's Mills WMA Questions...

G

Hello,

Has anyone been back in Collier's Mills lately? I used to go exploring there with my Land Cruiser quite a bit, but I haven't been there in about a year and a half. I decided to check out what it looked like on terraserver and I found an area that I had never seen before-well sort of. For those of you that have been there there's a lake all the way in the back that you can get to if you stay on the main road in. I've gotten to the west side of the lake, but I've never seen the road that goes around to the east side and continues on until it meets a paved road. The aerial photograph was taken in 1995, but I find it hard to believe that the trail grew in completely in 4 years. Also why are there random bare spots branching off from the road? I know that the fields in the front were specifically pushed out for pheasant hunting, but what of the ones all the way in the back? When the release the birds they only put them in the front fields...I've never seen them make it all the way back there.

Just curious,

Matthew

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
Last time I was back there @ Success Lake was 10 or more years ago. I only recall the road around the north shore. 25-30 years ago , we would go swimming at the dam/spillway on the east shore that went into Ridgeway Branch. I did drive out the road on the east side to rt.571. I recall it being a little rough on my 4WD. This was at least 20+ years ago.