Comcast, Verizon Begin Piracy-Prevention Program

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Internet Service Providers like Comcast and Verizon were teaming up with the music and movie industries in a new kind of crackdown on copyright infringement. This week, that program is getting underway.
Comcast and Verizon still aren’t talking specifics, but we reported last year on leaked documents that showed some ISPs were working on a six-strikes policy.
Say you’re downloading ‘Breaking Bad’ using a torrent. That activity would be red-flagged, and your Internet provider would email or call to tell you what’s wrong and point you toward legal ways to get that show.
Further violations would force you to take an online course about infringement before you can continue surfing.
After that, you’ll be dropped to near dial-up speeds for a couple days or pay to have an arbitrator review your case.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/comcast-verizon-begin-piracy-prevention-program/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm a supporter of intellectual property rights - as an artist/designer, I still receive royalties for my work. I don't download anything illegal myself. So, in principle, this seems reasonable and might also punish some people who use large volumes of data and slow the net down for the rest of us.

But in practice, I wonder how well it's going to work? I'll bet it would be a huge hassle to clear yourself if they mistakenly flagged you as an abuser.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I'm a supporter of intellectual property rights - as an artist/designer, I still receive royalties for my work. I don't download anything illegal myself. So, in principle, this seems reasonable and might also punish some people who use large volumes of data and slow the net down for the rest of us.

But in practice, I wonder how well it's going to work? I'll bet it would be a huge hassle to clear yourself if they mistakenly flagged you as an abuser.
Good point