Confirmed Black Bearin south Jersey...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You get a photo of that bear Bob, and you will be "The Man". Lets see who can get one first. At a distance of course!

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Bob--
I certainly don't have an array of scientific data to back up my comment about the "suffering" bearless ecosystem, but I do know that for the great distances bears are known to travel, they'd likely play an important role in seed dispersal, and while they aren't really apex predators . . . I'd see them as a sort of "apex scavenger". Maybe their presence would help reduce the booming racoon population . . . that alone would affect every aquatic ecosystem by relieving the nest-predation stresses put all the species of turtles.
I'm sure we could pose a million theories. My point is that the pine barrens evolved as an ecosystem with bears as a functioning piece of the machine. They leave too great an impact on their surroundings to not play some evolved role in the natural balance of south jersey forests. Whether their specific ecological value is known now or ever discovered is irrelevant. Maybe their prolonged presence will lead to what the pine barrens are SUPPOSED to look like . . .

Besides . . . if we're lucky they WILL be a nuisence. Perhaps they'll cause so much trouble as to impede development and discourage the seemingly endless influx of staten island refugees . . . and I know everyone on this site can agree to that being a good thing.

But for all our talk, how much more can any of us really do than just wait and see what happens??

oh and Guy--about that idea of yours . . . . I say whoever gets the first picture of a south jersey bear--the rest of us buy that person dinner and drinks. Who's up for it?? I know I'll be out there looking.

-Bobble

B

bach2yoga

BobM said:
bach2yoga said:
Respect....use common sense, learn to understand the bear and its thinking and its ways, its meandering paths, its food sources, its scat, its faint hay like smell, and be smart about it.

Another bit of pedantic ranting and questionable trivia dug up? You remind me of a scolding schoolmarm, telling us all to wise up, to get with "your program".

meandering paths and faint hay like smell...... indeed..........:lol:

Absolutely, a scolding schoolmarm, that's me. :lol: You always seem to have one label or another for me, don't you? It's kinda funny.

That's what I do, research. It's common sense. You're the one complaining that while you're in the swamp looking for orchids, your life is at risk three times a week while you are near death with heat exhaustion. You dead from heat exhaustion or heart attack doesn't do any good, anymore than being mauled by a bear, realistically.

Seriously, don't you learn where to look for rattlers? How far their striking distance is? Where they winter? Where they cross? It's same thing, come on...if there is bear scat around, well, common sense says someone probably picked it up with a shovel and moved it there to trick you, right? :wink:

And black bears make paths that endure for years, yet do not always follow the same paths predictably like other animals, but wander quite a bit. I've been researching them since I found those prints almost two years ago. Sure doesn't make me an expert, but the NPS is where I got my info.

BTW, the prints I saw, the ones that you made fun of me for, almost two years ago, were much clearer than what you posted. The back imprint was a full 20 cm in length and 10 cm in width, the size of my feet. The front paw prints were similar to what you posted, the hound of baskerville sort of thing. Mine also weren't a single print, either, but a full sets of tracks, a number of prints. I'd still like to see you eat that hat you swore you'd eat. :lol:

Renee

B

bach2yoga

Here's the scolding schoolmarm's pedantic ravings and program, :wink: straight from the National Park Service and the Smoky Mountains National Park Website :bounce: :

Remember: Be alert, watch for bear sign, avoid areas of restricted visibility, make noise, travel with others and carry a bear deterrent. (Can't watch for bear sign if you don't know it....)

BEFORE THE TRIP:
Plan ahead – be prepared. Contact the local wildlife agency or park headquarters for information about the area wildlife, hiking/camping procedures and precautions as well as for any current bear aware tips.
Familiarize yourself with bear behavior and sign. (Gee, where have I heard that before?)
If camping, learn various ways of hanging food out of bears' reach, including counter-balances.
Be sure tent, sleeping bags, and your skin are free of any lingering food odors.
Avoid packing odorous food and nonfood (fragrant cosmetic, toiletries, etc.) items. Use bear-proof containers, doubled plastic bags or airtight canisters to seal in odors.
Bring extra bags for leftovers and for packing out garbage, if necessary.
Pack a flashlight and binoculars.
Avoid taking a dog or keep it leashed.

Encounters Along the Trail
Remain watchful.
If you see a bear at a distance do not approach it.
If your presence causes the bear to change its behavior (stops feeding, changes its travel direction, watches you, etc.) - YOU'RE TOO CLOSE.

Being too close may also promote aggressive behavior from the bear such as running toward you, making loud noises, or swatting the ground. The bear is demanding more space. Don't run but slowly back away watching the bear. Try to increase the distance between you and the bear. The bear will probably do the same.

If a bear persistently follows or approaches you, typically without vocalizing, or paw swatting, try changing your direction. If the bear continues to follow you, stand your ground. If the bear gets closer, begin talking loudly or shouting at it. Act aggressively and try to intimidate the bear.

Act together as a group if you have companions. Make yourselves look as large as possible (for example move to higher ground). Throw non-food objects such as rocks at the bear. Use a deterrent such as a stout stick if you have one. Don't run and don't turn away from the bear.

Don't leave food for the bear; this encourages further problems. Most injuries from black bear attacks are minor and result from a bear attempting to get at people's food. If the bear's behavior indicates that it is after your food and you're physically attacked, separate yourself from the food and slowly back away.

If the bear shows no interest in your food and you're physically attacked, fight back aggressively with any available object -- the bear may consider you as prey! Help protect others, report all bear incidents to a park ranger immediately! Above all, keep your distance from bears!

Encounters in Camp

The best way to avoid bears is to not attract them. Keep cooking and sleeping areas separate. Keep tents and sleeping bags free of food odors; do not store food, garbage or other attractants (i.e., toothpaste, soap, etc.) in them.

A clean camp is essential to reducing problems. Pack out all food and litter; don't bury it or try to burn anything. Proper food storage is required by regulation. Secure all food and other attractants at night or when not in use. Where food storage devices are present, use them. Otherwise: Place all odorous items in your pack.
Select two trees 10-20 feet apart with limbs 15 feet high. Using a rock as weight, toss a rope over a limb on the first tree and tie one end to the pack. Repeat this process with the second tree. Raise the pack about six feet via the first rope and tie it off. Then pull the second rope until the pack is up at least 10 feet high and evenly spaced; it must be four feet or more from the nearest limb.

Garbage Kills Bears!
· Secure all food, toothpaste, soap and trash at night or when not in use.
· Do not cook or store food in or near your tent.
· Pack out ALL your trash, don't bury or burn anything.
· If a bear approaches you, frighten it by yelling, banging pans together, or throwing rocks .

NOTE:This is the most current educational information available on bears and will be included on the back of the GRSM backcountry trail map which is being revised and printed at this time. In addition, the video "Learning to Live With Bears" was released early last year and is for sale at Park visitor centers.

Bears are not highly social. Much of their communication at feeding aggregations, such as coastal meadows or salmon spawning streams, serves to maintain spacing and avoid conflict. They appear to have only a limited repertoire of behavior for this purpose. These behavior patterns are not highly ritualized, however their meaning is largely dependent on the context of the situation.

Factors influencing the bear's reaction:
Your position in the bear's dominance hierarchy
Your behavior
The bear species
The individual bear
The bear's perception of threat

Should you encounter a bear, these general descriptions of some behavior may help you understand what a bear may be trying to tell you. But remember that each bear is an individual, each encounter is unique and you are not fluent in their language.
Standing On Hind Legs: A bear standing bipedally is typically not expressing aggression. Bears generally stand on their hind legs to gain more information, both olfactory (smell) and visual.

Woof: A startled bear may emit a single sharp exhale that lacks the harsh quality of a huff. If her cubs woof, a mother will became immediately alert to the situation.

Growling, Snarling, Roaring: Clearly indicators of intolerance.

Charging: The vast majority of charges are ones in which the bear stops before making contact: a bluff charge. The character of the charge or associated vocalizations may vary, but it is clearly an aggressive/defensive act directed at another bear or human. Bears may charge (typically ears flatten back) immediately or may display stressed or erratic behavior before charging.

Problems can result when a bear is:
Surprised by the approach of a person
Attracted to odors from improper food storage
Attracted to humans because of prior food rewards
In poor shape, searching for any food

What Can You Do?
Inquire about recent bear activity in the area.
Make your presence known to bears! Call out, clap your hands, or sing loudly, especially around loud streams, on windy days, and in areas of low visibility. BEAR

ENCOUNTER GUIDELINES:
if a bear approaches you, STAY CALM.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RUN (running may elicit a chase response in the bear).
pick up small children so they don’t run, scream or panic.
gather the group together and restrain your dog.
let the bear know you are human; talk in a soothing voice; lift arms overhead to look bigger.
slowly back away and avoid direct eye contact with the bear.
if the bear lunges, snaps his jaws, slaps ground or brush with paw, he feels threatened-you are too close.
the bear may also suddenly rush forward and stop as a “bluffing†tactic to intimidate you to leave; momentarily hold your ground, then keep backing away and talking softly.
don’t crowd the bear; leave him a clear escape route.
retreat from the area or make a very wide detour around the bear.
if he continues to follow you, stand your ground and yell, clap your hands, wave your arms, or throw something toward him - repeat until he leaves.
as a last resort - drop something like a hat to distract him but avoid tossing him food or your backpack as he will quickly learn to confront other humans for food rewards.
Be aware of your surroundings. Look for bear-activity signs: tracks, scat, diggings, torn-up logs, and turned-over rocks.
Carry and know how to use a bear deterrent: be it "bear spray", a weapon, "distance" or common sense.
Reacting to a Chance Encounter
If you can do so undetected, leave the area.
If the bear is approaching, and unaware, try to get out of the way without being noticed.
If you can not leave the area, let the bear sense you by smell first. Quietly move upwind, keeping the bear insight. The bear is aware of you, but distant (200+ yards): Stay calm, continue walking slowly away from the bear. DO NOT RUN!
The bear is aware and close: bear is likely to feel threatened, no sudden movements, no direct eye contact, stay upwind, talk in a low authoritative voice and slowly wave your arms, back away slowly. Give the bear the opportunity to leave. If the bear does not leave, but comes closer or charges, stand your ground. Do not play dead unless the bear contacts you as a result of a charge.
A bear charges at high speed, ears flat, on all four legs, low to the ground. Many charges are bluffs: these bears often stop or veer to the side at the last moment. Do not play dead too soon. Doing so with a curious bear or one that is hunting and considers you prey will invite an unwanted approach.
However, if you are attacked, most wildlife experts recommend that:
If a black bear approaches, try to scare it away by shouting, making noise, or throwing small stones. If a black bear attacks, fight back!
If a black or grizzly bear attacks at night while you're in a tent, fight back aggressively with fists or solid objects.
If a grizzly bear attacks you during the day, most experts recommend that you play dead once the bear makes contact: either curl up in a ball or lie face down, using your hands and arms to protect the back of your neck and face, and keep your pack on for added protection. Do not move or make noise until you are sure the bear has left the area.
Travel in groups. Do not allow children to stray or run ahead.
Remain on trail and never hike at night.
ALWAYS STAY ALERT. “Advertise†your presence by wearing bells, singing, clapping, etc. Do not allow your “advertising†to distract you from staying AWARE of your surroundings.
Discard garbage in bear-proof trash containers or pack out in sealed plastic bags. LEAVE NO TRACE.
DON’T SURPRISE A BEAR! Use caution when traveling in windy weather, down-wind, approaching blind curves, dense vegetation, and noisy streams, where a bear may NOT SEE, SMELL OR HEAR you coming. Stop, look, and listen. Make noise before approaching these areas.
Circling birds and/or offensive odors may indicate an animal carcass – avoid this area or use extreme caution.
Never leave any food or backpack unattended.
Bears are naturally afraid of humans, but may become “habituated†or accustomed to people along popular hiking trails. Keep the area safe for humans and bears by NEVER feeding or approaching bears. Should a bear come near you he is most likely curious or smells something interesting. If he stands up, he is NOT going to attack but is trying to get a better look or smell. Bear attacks are extremely rare and by comparison a person is about 67 times more likely to be killed by a dog or 90,000 times more likely to be killed in a homicide. Bears are powerful and strong animals; they should always be treated with caution and respect.
BEAR ENCOUNTER GUIDELINES:
if a bear approaches you, STAY CALM.
American Bear Association
http://www.americanbear.org/camping.htm

Recreational use of parks and wilderness areas is increasing. Tolerance and an appreciation for the unpredictable nature of resident wildlife is increasingly important. Negative encounters are often a result of human carelessness rather than an aggressive act by the animal. This is especially true with bears. Most bear “attacks†are caused by surprising a bear and usually can be prevented. Understanding bear behavior and recognizing bear sign are important when hiking or camping in Bear Country.

BLACK BEAR FACTS
keen sense of smell (7 times more powerful than dogs); can detect odors over a mile away
goes without food for 6 to 7 months during hibernation in their northern range
very curious, resourceful, and intelligent
excellent memory and remembers food sources for many years
nervous, shy, easily frightened – can cause serious injury if startled, cornered, or provoked
usually prefers to avoid humans
opportunistic; will take advantage of readily available food
becomes bolder when hungry or habituated
very powerful and strong, thus should be treated with caution and respect
proficient at climbing, swimming, and running
often avoids open areas and prefers protective cover of trees and thickets
diet consists of approximately 85% vegetable matter including nuts, berries, seeds, grasses
stands up on hind legs NOT to attack but out of curiosity and to get a better look or smell

B

bach2yoga

Here's some more info on these fascinating animals:

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/srd/fw/bears/id.html Alberta government site

7x more powerful than a dogs sense of smell
Bears choose a denning site with the coming of cold weather. Dens are usually hollow stumps, tree cavities, or wherever there is shelter. Bears in the Smokies are unusual in that they often den high up off the ground inside of standing hollow trees. They do not truly hibernate, but enter long periods of sleep. Bears may leave the den for short periods if disturbed or during brief warming trends

If you know how to look for bear sign, you will find it in abundance. Tracks, especially if made in mud or snow, are commonly observed. Other bear signs include walking trails, scats, rolled logs or rocks, torn stumps, rubbed, chewed or claw-marked trees, beds and diggings. Following these signs is entertaining and educational, but must be done with caution and common sense so as not to unduly disturb the animal or put yourself in danger by getting too close.
The two species leave a different kind of track. In soft ground, the claw marks of black bears are sharply incised and are close to the toe marks; whereas, with grizzlies, the claw marks, especially of the front foot, are slight, often difficult to see, and well ahead of the toe marks. You can measure the width of the front (pad) track to help identify the bear, but because there is much overlap in size between species, sex and age of bears, consideration of pertinent factors is necessary. For example, in country where only black bears are known to occur, a track in excess of 13 centimetres (5 inches) wide is a large male. In grizzly country, front tracks greater than 15 centimetres (6 inches) wide are likely of that species.
Bears are creatures of habit. They return again and again to familiar areas and by stepping in their own tracks, leave a trail with indentations in the ground that may endure for years. Such trails may lead to favorite rub trees or food sources. The long claws of grizzlies can scoop up leaves into little piles. (Other websites also mention that bears, because they are so naturally curious, will also spend a lot of time meandering and being sidetracked off of their regular paths.)
When travelling in forests where ground cover is heavy, the first noticeable signs of a bear may be a log rolled over onto grass or other vegetation. The bear turned the log to search for and feed on insects sheltered below. Similarly, an old stump torn to shreds indicates that a bear fed on ants, other insects or their larvae.Bear scats may be round (5 to 7.5 cm [2 to 3 in] in diameter) or, as is more often the case when a bear has been feeding on fresh greens such as horsetail or sedges, the scat may be patty or pie-like, but still obviously bear. You can examine these scats to identify the foods consumed by the bear.
Rubbed and chewed trees can show interesting details. Close examination may reveal countless hairs stuck in the sap or bark where the bear has rid himself of excessive winter hair or eased an itch. Most such trees will have chewings and some, bite marks at the height of the standing bear. Tall aspens will retain the claw-marked trail of a climbing black bear for the life of the tree, and these well-marked trees are often at intersections of forest trails.Bears make beds or scrapes on the ground surface. Such "day beds" are slightly scooped into the ground or may be lined with boughs of conifers. If you are in bear country in spring (when bears are just leaving winter dens) or in fall (when bears are about to enter dens), do not go to sleep in the bear's bed as you may soon have company.

Bears are not true hibernators because they do not become dormant in winter and can be awakened. In October or November, they usually go into a deep sleep in a tree hollow or boulder cave. In January or February, a mother bear gives birt hto two cubs (while she is asleep!). Weighing only 7 to 12 ounces at birth, the tiny cubs, whose eyes aren't yet open, manage to find their mother's milk using their sense of smell. Sometime in March, the mother bear awakens to spring and a litter of cubs.
Black bears are powerful and highly intelligent. They naturally feed on berries, nuts, seeds, acorns (sweet white acorns are one of their favorite foods), and insects, but they often seek human food. They have a keen sense of smell and are good at recognizing colors and shapes. The park's bears have been known to pry open car doors to get objects that they think are food. To a bear, a can of tennis balls might look like a can of potato chips. A bottle of suntan lotion might smell like coconut cream pie. Be careful with any canned items and objects shaped like ice chests. While bears can't read the label on a can of pork and beans, they do know food can come in cans.
To finish, a wonderful quote...
"The sierra bear, brown or gray, the sequoia of the animals, tramps over all the park, though few travelers have the pleasure of seeing him. On he fares through the majestic forests and canyons, facing all sorts of weather, rejoicing in his strength, everything at home, harmonizing with the trees and rocks and shaggy chaparral. Happy fellow! His lines have fallen in pleasant placesâ€â€lily gardens in silver-fir forests, miles of bushes in endless variety and exuberance of bloom over hill-waves and valleys and along the banks of streams, canons full of music and waterfalls, parks fair as Edenâ€â€places in which one might expect to meet angels rather than bears."
â€â€John Muir, Our National Parks

B

bach2yoga

Bobbleton said:
Bob--
I certainly don't have an array of scientific data to back up my comment about the "suffering" bearless ecosystem, but I do know that for the great distances bears are known to travel, they'd likely play an important role in seed dispersal, and while they aren't really apex predators . . . I'd see them as a sort of "apex scavenger". Maybe their presence would help reduce the booming racoon population . . . that alone would affect every aquatic ecosystem by relieving the nest-predation stresses put all the species of turtles.
I'm sure we could pose a million theories. My point is that the pine barrens evolved as an ecosystem with bears as a functioning piece of the machine. They leave too great an impact on their surroundings to not play some evolved role in the natural balance of south jersey forests. Whether their specific ecological value is known now or ever discovered is irrelevant. Maybe their prolonged presence will lead to what the pine barrens are SUPPOSED to look like . . .

Besides . . . if we're lucky they WILL be a nuisence. Perhaps they'll cause so much trouble as to impede development and discourage the seemingly endless influx of staten island refugees . . . and I know everyone on this site can agree to that being a good thing.

But for all our talk, how much more can any of us really do than just wait and see what happens??

oh and Guy--about that idea of yours . . . . I say whoever gets the first picture of a south jersey bear--the rest of us buy that person dinner and drinks. Who's up for it?? I know I'll be out there looking.

-Bobble

I like that idea!
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There was one bear reported, and it seems that maybe we are all making more out of this than their really is. That bear may find it's way back north as it found it's way south, and we might not have to deal with this again for years to come. The chances of one of us seeing that one bear are very remote, so buying bear spray just adds to the already over abundance of things I now have in the trunk of my car to carry or wear.

I may be proven wrong this weekend or sometime in the near future, but I am willing to bet that none of us will get a photo of or see that bear. But for the person who does, I will be the first to congratulate them, if I can post first :)

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
BobM,

Your photo's are that of a dog, or coyote. Definitely not a bear. The photo below is a bear print, my sons hand is for size reference. Photo was taken out west, we have been making a trip for the past 17 years, and have had a number of encounters with bear, all peacefull, some very close.

http://www.pbase.com/image/18462136

You may want to consider carrying bear spray to make you more comfortable when out alone. It is always with us when hiking out west, but we only have a few down here right now. Some more info from folks that know about these things,

http://www.bebearawaresw.org/

Hope this helps.

I went out yesterday with the camera, drove around Greenwood and Pasadena, nothing but deer, one Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a gazillion ticks. I', more worried about the ticks then the bear.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A thought about what BobM has said regarding the bear crossing Lacey Rd. Might that put the crossing near Popcorn Zoo? Do they have bear at Popcorn Zoo? I live so close but have never been to there.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Bears

I have a lot less experience and understanding about the pines and such than many of you posting replies about the bears.
I will add my two cents of scatterbrained thoughts anyway.

The bear population in the NJ water gap area has risen over 50 times what it was two decades ago. They are as thick as fleas in that area. They are also perhaps the healthiest bears in the country. NJ bears live into the teens and start to reproduce at year 2. In other areas of the country they live to a max of 10 and reproduce at 5 or 6 years. NJ bears live twice as long as Yellowstone bears. Got the info from www.njskylands.com/odbears.htm. Not sure if the address is still up.

I hated to think of the magnificent bears being shot during the renewed hunting season in NJ, but seem to me that if overpopulation can backfire on an animal the hunt was renewed just in time. Perhaps the bear population is not kept in check by competitors competing for the same food source, Cougars, wolfs people.
If less people venture into the woods due to bears, that could also be a bad thing. The same people overpopulating the remaining wild life areas, likely have no appreciation for what they are destroying. If more people get out into the wild areas, they would not be so quick to hack them up.

Male bears travel as much as 50 miles. Maybe these bears are just visiting.

No one should feel that it is safe to travel alone in the Pines anyway. I have seen very large canine tracks in the Carranza area. I also saw a drug trade on the road right in front of the memorial a month after I saw the tracks. I also read a post from someone regarding a man with a handgun on one of the roads in the Pines. I also saw a photo in the paper of a huge guy stealing chunks of ruins from the pines.

If you have to go alone, you really should take good care of yourself. I have found that most people get a little foggy brained from exhaustion and dehydration and start doing goofy things long before they recognize the symptoms. Take care of yourselves, not enough nature enthusiast in the world already.

Thanks for all of the great post and replies to my question regarding tick and kids

Ron

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Bears

Lorun said:
I have a lot less experience and understanding about the pines and such than many of you posting replies about the bears.

The bear population in the NJ water gap area has risen over 50 times what it was two decades ago. They are as thick as fleas in that area. They are also perhaps the healthiest bears in the country. NJ bears live into the teens and start to reproduce at year 2. In other areas of the country they live to a max of 10 and reproduce at 5 or 6 years. NJ bears live twice as long as Yellowstone bears. Got the info from www.njskylands.com/odbears.htm. Not sure if the address is still up.

I hated to think of the magnificent bears being shot during the renewed hunting season in NJ, but seem to me that if overpopulation can backfire on an animal the hunt was renewed just in time. Perhaps the bear population is not kept in check by competitors competing for the same food source, Cougars, wolfs people.
If less people venture into the woods due to bears, that could also be a bad thing. The same people overpopulating the remaining wild life areas, likely have no appreciation for what they are destroying. If more people get out into the wild areas, they would not be so quick to hack them up.

No one should feel that it is safe to travel alone in the Pines anyway. I have seen very large canine tracks in the Carranza area. I also saw a drug trade on the road right in front of the memorial a month after I saw the tracks. I also read a post from someone regarding a man with a handgun on one of the roads in the Pines. I also saw a photo in the paper of a huge guy stealing chunks of ruins from the pines.

If you have to go alone, you really should take good care of yourself. I have found that most people get a little foggy brained from exhaustion and dehydration and start doing goofy things long before they recognize the symptoms. Take care of yourselves, not enough nature enthusiast in the world already.

Thanks for all of the great post and replies to my question regarding tick and kids

Ron

We have been living in harmony with the Bears up here in Sussex County for quite sometime. We have had bears on street on several occasions and they have never been aggressive. They do however, will destroy your garbage cans if left out.

If there is trouble with a bear it's usually because some of us leave our garbage out at night as opposed to taking it out in the morning. Bird feeders are another favorite that will attract bears.

When the bear started making regular appearances, the local police were called out and they shot it in the behind with a rubber bullet. We haven't seen him back since.

Thanks Renee for posting the information on Bears. We have started to hike sometimes in my neck of the woods and now know what to do in confronted by one.

I agree with the previous poster that the ticks, chiggers and dehydration are more likely to get you.

B

bach2yoga

Bears

Lorun said:

Ron

Ron,
That's a lot of fascinating info re: bears, thanks. I had read that the average age to begin reproduction was 3.5-5 years, so that would certainly make our bears young! Very interesting!

I agree with you on the exhaustion and dehydration--at the risk of sounding schoolmarmish again, there is no reason for it, under normal circumstances. I also agree on not hiking alone--I've had dealings in the last year that have unnerved me to the point that I hike alone only with our very large dog and a can of mace, and never post the info online beforehand.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
There was one bear reported, and it seems that maybe we are all making more out of this than their really is. That bear may find it's way back north as it found it's way south, and we might not have to deal with this again for years to come. The chances of one of us seeing that one bear are very remote, so buying bear spray just adds to the already over abundance of things I now have in the trunk of my car to carry or wear.

I may be proven wrong this weekend or sometime in the near future, but I am willing to bet that none of us will get a photo of or see that bear. But for the person who does, I will be the first to congratulate them, if I can post first :)

Guy

Was it one? I kinda thought it was two, didn't one of the articles say something about two sightings fifteen minutes apart, ten miles apart? I may have misunderstood.

Either way, I don't think at this point it is a big threat, just something to be aware of. But I've been thinking that for two years now...and still haven't seen one, just tracks.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

46er said:
A thought about what BobM has said regarding the bear crossing Lacey Rd. Might that put the crossing near Popcorn Zoo? Do they have bear at Popcorn Zoo? I live so close but have never been to there.

I think there are, but I don't exactly remember. Kristen (my daughter) says she doesn't remember any, and I'm having a brain fart, I just don't remember. Someone else would be better to answer that. I know there's a lion there.

BUT....It's a great zoo, you gotta visit it!

Renee

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just thinking that may be the reason he's hanging around there. Plus the food. I am heading out tonight to see what I can see. :wink:

B

bach2yoga

46er said:
BobM,

Your photo's are that of a dog, or coyote. Definitely not a bear. The photo below is a bear print, my sons hand is for size reference. Photo was taken out west, we have been making a trip for the past 17 years, and have had a number of encounters with bear, all peacefull, some very close.

http://www.pbase.com/image/18462136

You may want to consider carrying bear spray to make you more comfortable when out alone. It is always with us when hiking out west, but we only have a few down here right now. Some more info from folks that know about these things,

http://www.bebearawaresw.org/

Hope this helps.

I went out yesterday with the camera, drove around Greenwood and Pasadena, nothing but deer, one Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a gazillion ticks. I', more worried about the ticks then the bear.

46er, I posted a link to bear spray a couple posts earlier. Are you familiar with that brand? Is there any brand in particular that you would recommend?
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Bears

njvike said:
We have been living in harmony with the Bears up here in Sussex County for quite sometime. We have had bears on street on several occasions and they have never been aggressive. They do however, will destroy your garbage cans if left out.

If there is trouble with a bear it's usually because some of us leave our garbage out at night as opposed to taking it out in the morning. Bird feeders are another favorite that will attract bears.

When the bear started making regular appearances, the local police were called out and they shot it in the behind with a rubber bullet. We haven't seen him back since.

Thanks Renee for posting the information on Bears. We have started to hike sometimes in my neck of the woods and now know what to do in confronted by one.

I agree with the previous poster that the ticks, chiggers and dehydration are more likely to get you.

No problem. I enjoy researching things. It's good to hear from our fellow New Jerseyans that people can live in harmony with them, exercising good sense.

Renee