Connetquot State Park

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
This park, located in western Suffolk County, in the Islip area, is very large. To go and walk the trails that loop around the park for some 10 miles, took most of the day and alot to drink (and I was still thirsty!).:guinness: No wonder many people choose to explore it on horseback.
The northern part of the trail, off Vets highway (rt.454) takes out through mostly old growth woods where tall oaks and pines dominate. Bunces bridge and near the hatchery are some real great places for flyfishing, as well as viewing birds. The eastern part of the park, especially around Cordwood Road, is drier woods, definately piney. Unfortunately the pine flies are coming out, and there were alot more flies coming out of the sand on the trails. They are out early this year, but I guess because it's been a mild winter. Managed not to get bitten, though they buzzed me at least a couple of times.
Here's some photos, more in my gallery here http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=417

normal_cq9.jpg

normal_cq15.jpg

normal_cq7.jpg

normal_cq8.jpg

normal_cq1.jpg

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Are all the trails multi-use, or are some designated as just for walking? Sharing spaces with horses can make for a landmine hike, not one of my favorite types.
Enjoyed your pics.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
You've got to be kidding!
This stuff is gorgeous. It's seems at times you've got our pines beat.
( sorry all ) As always, the quality of your pics & shot choices are great.

G.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Piney Boy said:
Are all the trails multi-use, or are some designated as just for walking? Sharing spaces with horses can make for a landmine hike, not one of my favorite types.
Enjoyed your pics.

Some trails are for walkers only, but I prefer the horse trails because they are wider, and avoiding the ticks is easier. By "landmine" you mean the poo, right? There doesn't seem to be much in Connetquot though. The horses that go through there seem pretty clean to me. Now the ones they use on the "handsome cabs" in the city through Central Park are a whole another story. :v: