Constable Bridge

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
Taking the Scouts hiking this weekend on the Yellow Trail up from Batsto towards Mullica River Camp. Was wondering if anybody had any history on the Constable Bridge. Who was Constable, that kind of thing.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Constable Bridge is under the cursor on the map in the attached Boyd's Maps link. If you toggle through the various maps, you will see that the bogs to the north and west, known as Constable Bogs, were there at least as far back as 1885 according to Cook's Map. The amount of work it took to build those bogs in the 1800's is hard to fathom. If you and the Scouts are up for a challenge, you can explore the area around those bogs.

I wish I knew more of the history of the Constable Bridge and bogs but I don't. Maybe someone else can dive in.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here is a link to a hike I organized with PBX back in 2008 around those bogs. Most of the picture links are dead but Teegate's photos still live on !!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Constable Bridge is under the cursor on the map in the attached Boyd's Maps link.

You might be interested in the park POI file I posted, download it here and follow the simple instructions to load into boydsmaps.

https://boydsmaps.com/download/wpts.zip

It shows a bridge there but doesn't have the name. Anyway, the POI's are from the NJDEP, there are quite a lot (1240) and there are some interesting things, like parking areas and scenic views. You can also export the POI as a GPX file from my app and load that into Garmin Basecamp or your GPS.

This is the data source, FYI. The whole dataset is about 2500 points, so I only used the Southern half in my file.

screenshot.png

Last edited:

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
Constable Bridge is under the cursor on the map in the attached Boyd's Maps link. If you toggle through the various maps, you will see that the bogs to the north and west, known as Constable Bogs, were there at least as far back as 1885 according to Cook's Map. The amount of work it took to build those bogs in the 1800's is hard to fathom. If you and the Scouts are up for a challenge, you can explore the area around those bogs.

I wish I knew more of the history of the Constable Bridge and bogs but I don't. Maybe someone else can dive in.

Spent some time with this today. VERY interesting! Might have to go slog in there soon and check out the bogs. I'm always impressed by the canals they dug and the dams they raised. Men of iron!!!

Reactions: Boyd