Constitutional Rights

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This line from the editorial sums it up pretty well… "Andrzejczak's district and the state have more pressing problems — namely the lack of jobs and high property taxes".

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I do not agree with the editorial author regarding there being no credible threats to hunting or fishing. Hunting has long been under attack from individuals and groups with either animal rights or gun control agendas, even if largely unsuccessful to date. In a state like ours, with more and more of our population growing up or residing in urban or suburban areas as time goes on, hunting is increasingly misunderstoood and looked down upon by many. I also do not think the "more pressing problems" argument is relevant. Issues should be dealt with on their own merit and not connected to unrelated ones. It would be like police being discouraged from enforcing motor vehicle laws because murders are taking place elsewhere. I'm just not crazy about the idea of constitutional ammendments for things like this. I’m certainly no legal scholar, and would have to give it more thought and research to take a firmer stand

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I do not agree with the editorial author regarding there being no credible threats to hunting or fishing. Hunting has long been under attack from individuals and groups with either animal rights or gun control agendas, even if largely unsuccessful to date. In a state like ours, with more and more of our population growing up or residing in urban or suburban areas as time goes on, hunting is increasingly misunderstoood and looked down upon by many. I also do not think the "more pressing problems" argument is relevant. Issues should be dealt with on their own merit and not connected to unrelated ones. It would be like police being discouraged from enforcing motor vehicle laws because murders are taking place elsewhere. I'm just not crazy about the idea of constitutional ammendments for things like this. I’m certainly no legal scholar, and would have to give it more thought and research to take a firmer stand

A good reason not to put it on the ballot. I think a Governor's executive action would work best; after all, they are all the rage to get stuff done in government nowadays. ;)

I drove by the RT 539 parking lot for the Greenwood Quail management area about 30 minutes ago; there were 5 cars there. My how things have changed.

local vollie

Scout
Apr 6, 2011
Certainly. Thank you for the opportunity. Basically, the New Jersey Forest Fire Service creates work plans and strategies to manage the pine barrens mostly for their own benefit; that is, to buy equipment, expand operations, and pay salaries. They dig up the pines in these long, ugly fire roads and trenches that do nothing more than waste gasoline and diesel fuel in order to create breaks that will manage and stop fires by creating fires (or so they say). In reality, they do nothing of the sort. Those little trenches only invite off-road wheeling and mar the landscape. To exist BIG, they feel they need to plan BIG and scare the pants off their management, so they come up with these ridiculous schemes to give the pine barrens a hair cut every 3 to 5 years. See the example: Double Trouble State Park - Forest Stewardship Plan and the Whiting WMA Natural Stewardship Plan, which is 97 PAGES LONG!

Wow, you truly have a remarkable talent for speaking on this subject without having much knowledge on the matter. Please allow me to clarify...."they create work plans and strategies to manage the pine barrens mostly for their own benefit".....WHAT BENEFIT ?? Oh yeah...."to buy equipment".......over half the fleet of trucks is over 10 years old, and 25% are over 20 years old......Makes you want to run right out there and put ones life on the line in a 20 year old truck.....some "benefit". Next.....To "expand operations".....fact is the NJFFS is now staffed "full time" at the lowest point in its history. Thank God for the part-time paid on call staff that respond night or day. Lastly, "to pay salaries". are they supposed to work for free? .
The NJFFS is at the lowest salary base in over 30+ years. Seems every time that an appropriation is set aside for them, some politician moves the money out of their coffers, and earmarks it for something else. Those "ugly fire roads and trenches" you mention help to contain wildland fires to manaegble sizes, saving tens of thousands of acres from burning needlessly. Having NOT grown up in this area, you wouldn't know that. As for "digging up the pines", I can honestly say, I haven't seen a new road opened in years. Occasionally, they will regrade a road, or scrape the leaves and needles off an existing road prior to prescribed burning so that fire does not escape. Now if you, and your cohorts, truly want to do something about torn up woods roads, why don't you spaek to the Park Police about these 4x4 clubs with their oversize trucks and tires creating holes in the roads that could swallow a car. These individuals make roads impassible, and heaven forbid a fire breaks out, the NJFFS is delayed in getting to thescene because of puddles so deep, they can't manuever through them. In closing let me say this. Please don't go mouthing off here on this sight when in fact you have NO IDEA what you're talking about. Good day sir.