Cook's Branch

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here are some photos. My favorite stream in the pines. This was this morning, far upstream.

This is green Woodland Orchid. They love wet spots.

watermark.php

Round Sundew on the edge of the water.

watermark.php

Short-leaved milkwort.

watermark.php

Turks Cap Lily. Gotta shoot one every year. This one was especially handsome and large. Size of a good coffee cup.

watermark.php

Think these anthers are big enough? The pollen is the size of marbles (just kidding).

watermark.php

Buddy found a cedar tree chair next to the stream.

watermark.php

White fringed orchid. They seem to be scarce in the transition zone this year. This was in the cold sphagnum bog.

watermark.php

Detail..

watermark.php

Lance-leaved sabatia.

watermark.php

Guy, I figured out a great tripod. Take your stick and put it in front of the plant and rest one end on your knee and the other end on something as high as the subject. Then, rest your camera hand on the stick and shoot. It works even better if you have two things to rest the stick on and you can use both hands on the camera. I backed up on the below photo just to show you the set up.

watermark.php

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have heard you talk about Cooks Branch,is it cedar swamp? google earthing it looks like a very small stream,is it fast?Must be nice living next to your favorite stream,I live an hour and a quarter from mine:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like you had a nice time and found some nice plants. There were Turks Cap Lilly's along the power lines. I saw at least two of them. You should check out that area just past where we killed Gabe. There are some interesting grasses and other plants I have not viewed before. I would have taken photo's but my camera steamed up and we were running really late.

Nice tripod. I will have to try that out.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have heard you talk about Cooks Branch,is it cedar swamp? google earthing it looks like a very small stream,is it fast?Must be nice living next to your favorite stream,I live an hour and a quarter from mine:)
Al

Come up some time Al. I'd like to show it to you. It is a very small but very special stream.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, You got some great pictures there! Buddy looks like he spotted something. I bet it was nice and cool down by the stream.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Come up some time Al. I'd like to show it to you. It is a very small but very special stream.

I like small streams,not big enough to swim in but maybe enough to sit in when the heat cranks up.The barrens is no place to be far from water when the heat gets above 85 unless your in the plains and theirs a stiff breeze:)
Al