Cool historical Topo Maps

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I haven't seen these before... have you? There are nice, clean high-res scans of old topo maps for many states, including all of New Jersey: http://historical.mytopo.com/statemap.cfm?stateabr=NJ

Here's an section of an 1884 topo
1884.jpg

And this is the 1949 topo
1949.jpg

(I have reduced the size of these images a bit for the purpose of posting)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They use to be on this site. I just looked and no longer see them. I have them in my computer.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here's some info about the collection: http://historical.mytopo.com/about.cfm

Christopher Marshall, an avid map enthusiast with an interest in railroads, started this collection of map images. While researching abandoned railroad rights-of-way from his home in Amherst, New Hampshire, Chris discovered that historic USGS are invaluable research tools but are not readily available - many libraries have some, but no New Hampshire library has a complete collection.

Armed with a scanner and laptop, Chris visited libraries throughout the state, digitizing maps as he went. Eventually, with the collaboration of Meredith Ricker of the University of New Hampshire Dimond Library Government Documents Department, a collection of digitized maps covering the state of New Hampshire was made public.

Soon the site covered all of New England, and later, New York State. Other map enthusiasts volunteered their time and energy to help expand the collection. It was soon evident that growing national interest promised to expand the collection beyond Dimond Library's New England focus. So, Chris sought a new home for the blossoming collection.

Through a connection established by fellow rail enthusiast and Maptech employee Ed Lecuyer, Chris approached Maptech to host this site. We are delighted to provide disk space and bandwidth to make this unique resource available. Other contributors include Stephen Titchenal and Derrick Brashear. If you would like to help expand this collection, contact Chris Marshall through Maptech's e-mail address: sales@maptech.com.

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
I used to hunt there in the 70s. You used to be able to ride all thru the area until the mine plowed the wide road thru it. I posted 2 pictures in my gallery of a stream that used to run thru the old road that the mine made into a highway.