Corzine rejects bear hunt

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
this guy is something else. he should listen to thepeople in the know. instead of spending another couple hundred thousand on studies he should listen to biologists.bottom line is the 2 years they had the hunts the complaints dropped. i dont know how he can sleep at night. theres gonna be a serious mauling or death i believe and he will have to live with it.putting better lids on garbage cans has nothing to do with saving them.limited hunting costs nothing and keeps the numbers in check. its a sad day for the bears!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Isn't he like a multi millionaire, I bet he sleeps real well at night. I agree with you poor bears having to deal with north jerseyians.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I agree with Foofoo, it is a sad day for the bears. I am a hunter so my feelings are bit mixed about the situation. I've never hunted bear, but as a deer hunter I certainly recognize the need for population management through harvesting of game. To me and many others it is obvious that contraception and relocation are difficult, expensive, and painstakingly long processes. This state is cash strapped enough without spending more money on endless studies and contraception and relocation programs. To add to what Foofoo said, a hunt is actually less than free-it makes the state money! Special permits are not cheap and that money goes to support FG&W programs that would otherwise cost taxpayer money.

It is sad though that there would be no reason for a hunt if not for the continued development of the area. My girlfriend, who grew up just a few miles from High Point, has seen firsthand just how much land has been lost to McMansions and shopping plazas. The bear population has stayed constant while the habitat has been dissapearing at a dizzying rate. Sussex County has now become a bedroom community for the more congested areas of North Jersey and New York City. I can't blame these people for wanting peace, quiet, and an acre or two to spread out on, but living in the woods just isn't the same as living in Nutley, Belleville, or Teaneck, where its a rare occurance to have a racoon tear apart your garbage.

I think to an extent these types of people have hyped up the "bear scare" which doesn't help in having a reasoned discourse about the best management solutions. If you want to move to bear country, you should know what to do with your garbage, know better than to leave pets and small children outside unattended, etc... I have little sympathy for someone who builds a $1.5 million dollar home on the side of mountain in Sussex County and then cries to the state that a bear walked through their backyard and that something should be done. If the bear could talk he'd probably say "And just what the hell do you think YOU'RE doing in MY yard!?"

That being said, a bi-yearly hunt needs to be held, because I don't see anyone leaving that area for more urban environs anytime soon. It's only a matter of time before a human/bear interaction results in a mauling or a fatality. The sad part will be that it will more than likely stem from human stupidity-not ursine aggression.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Badfish I totally agree with you it makes me so angry when I hear people who say I want to move away from all the congestation. I enjoy the outdoors and want to be by nature. And then the second nature enters their property they are freaking out. There are risk rewards with everything in life. You move out to the woods expect to have you trash raided and your bird feeders attacked. I'm convinced people in new jersey just love to complain, there is always something wrong. We humans have created all these problems, we have too many deer because we destroyed the woods and created too many grassy fields so people in voorhees are crying because deer are eating there flowers, we have too many interactions with bears because we destroyed there habitat. I'm really sick of people, its time for bird flu to take out a couple million.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
foofoo, now that I'm living in Montana with Black bears roaming the park that is a stone's throw from my house and with a 32,976-acre Grizzly Bear restoration area just three miles north of me, I can say that comments like "theres gonna be a serious mauling or death i believe and he will have to live with it," however likely, are based in unreasonable paranoia. People simply need to be bear-conscious and be prepared to act in the appropriate manner should an encounter occur. I can admit that I once felt as you do, foofoo, but moving here has opened my eyes to a sober assessment of the situation.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
People simply need to be bear-conscious and prepared to act in the appropriate manner should an encounter occur.

I think Foofoo is echoing my sentiments that people don't care enough to be educated about what to do if you come upon a bear be or inconvenienced by buying a bear proof garbage can, etc... The local schools do make an effort to teach young children bear safety as they have for a long time, but convincing mom and dad who just moved in from Fort Lee is the hard part. Case in point: My girlfriend took some of her new found friends home with her on a weekend her freshman year in college. The friends were from Union and Hudson Counties. On the way to her house just off of Route 91 near Hampton they saw a bear lumbering through a wooded area near the road. My girlfriend slowed down and enthusiastically pointed out (from the safety of the car, at least 100 yards away) "Hey look! A bear!" The response? Screaming, general terror, tears, and pleas to get the hell out of there... Ah, suburbanites...

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
we see bears very frequently up here the bears do their thing we do ours they even walk within 50 feet of the house, big deal, we keep our trash in doors untill we take to the trash/recycle center

if people live in rural areas they need learn to get along with the wildlife and stop screeming "the bears are going to eat my kids, help !"

bad bear encounters are caused buy uneducated people and people doing stupid things

we think bears are neet ! and more interesting than the heards of deer we see on our property all the time

as far as bear control goes......there should be people control too !

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Badfish,

Yeah, people are stupid. But that's no reason to kill bears. Amen?

Bear population goes up, food for bears becomes scarce, bears eat more trash or get hungry and maul someone.

There needs to be some sort of population control, just like there is on deer. Hunting is the easiest/cheapest way of doing it. Contraceptives - well, maybe it may work, but as far as I know it's not a workable technology yet.

Nobody is saying that people should hunt the bears to extinction, but there needs to be a balance between the number of bears and what the environment can sustain up there.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
We need to use some of those contraceptives for humans.

Yeah...especially these.....!!:guinness:

mexbreeder.jpg

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
^^ What's the point of that?

People, stop shitting up the forums. If you want to talk about illegal immigration, don't do it in a thread about the bear hunt.

Better yet, don't do it at all.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I agree-what does that have to do with bears? I assure you, illegal immigrants are not overpopulating Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, and Morris Counties. They're the most expensive counties to live in in the entire state of New Jersey. I've read your posts, I get it, you're against illegal immigration, I am too, but connecting every single topic to it is getting a little old. Plus I think that cartoon is just a wee bit stereotyped. On the other hand I really enjoy your photography posts-lets see more of those!

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I apologize, I just couldn't resist joking around.:bear:
I feel that the bears have had their habitat taken away by all the homebuilding. People move to the woods and then are freaked out by nature.
At the same time I think Corzine made a mistake. Hunting is a celebration of human inginuity, and overpopulation can result when regulated hunting is not allowed.
For instance, in Connetquot State Park here on LI, they dont allow any deer hunting at all. You do see a huge population of deer there, but they often are very skinny and look like they are struggling to survive. There's also a fence around the park so they are trapped in there. There also seems to be a huge ratio of does to bucks.