Cougar vs Bear

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I didn't know bears made those noises:rofl: Seriously, this is real footage of a cougar and grizzly bear. It is amazing how brave the mother cougar is when confronted with a far, far more powerful animal. Maternal instinct.
Jeff

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I have always been a fan of cats, I think pound for pound they are one of the most amazing and deadly animals. But, I would still give the edge to a bear that is 4x its size. Put a 600 pound tiger against a 600 pound bear and my bets are on the tiger.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Bart played his part well :D
Yes, this was a Hollywood production (listed under the video window) but it's an entertaining and fascinating view. No wonder this movie got so many awards--I may need to watch the whole thing one day. :dance:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes, this was a Hollywood production (listed under the video window) but it's an entertaining and fascinating view. No wonder this movie got so many awards--I may need to watch the whole thing one day. :dance:

Take it from me, its much more interesting to watch the real thing. A short video clip taken by me back in '04.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Take it from me, its much more interesting to watch the real thing. A short video clip taken by me back in '04.

That Elk was pretty smart staying in the water. Nice video.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That Elk was pretty smart staying in the water. Nice video.

Guy

Didn't help for long. The end result from the next morning, everybody has to eat....

18949862.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have always been a fan of cats, I think pound for pound they are one of the most amazing and deadly animals. But, I would still give the edge to a bear that is 4x its size. Put a 600 pound tiger against a 600 pound bear and my bets are on the tiger.

I don't know. Bears are pretty tough, extremely well protected and ridiculously strong. The question is...what about a gorilla?

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wow! You took that footage. Very cool.

Thanks, not very good quality, but it was hand held at the max zoom and the breeze was blowing. I was also freezing my toenails off :)

This is a still shot in a series, you can see where the Griz had a hold of it on its stomach and flank. The wolves chased the bear off.

30566243.jpg