Could You Kayak

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Taking a kayaking class is a very good idea. That one seems good, and doesn't take a big investment, You will not regret it, right? Kayaking is the best way to see the waterways of the pines, and will show the whole area to you from a totally different perspective. Oswego lake is a really nice place to go paddling, as is Goshen Pond. Take the class and learn about the basics and about water safety.

Incidentally, the article says that you will have to pay a minimum of $500 for a kayak, and that's not true. You can get them from Dicks' sporting goods or Harry's Army Navy for less, and also you can scan Craigslist for them. They have a sporting goods section, and you never know what you will find there. There are some really great deals.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Ocean County Parks offers a two day beginner's kayak class. It is geared towards bay kayaking but you will certainly come out of it able to deal with most any situation freshwater paddling will throw at you. I don't know off the top of my head if the August class is filled however.

As for buying a boat, some of the liveries want to keep their rental fleet in top visual condition so they sell off used canoes and kayaks from time to time that are still in decent shape. I know someone who bought a nice used kayak from Bel Haven that way. Private individuals are constantly trading up their boats to higher performance ones, so used beginner level boats are out there.

One tidbit of advice I'd give is to not get one of the smallest kayaks that are common on the rivers. They are good for small rivers and nothing else. They are terrible at tracking in a straight line for any reasonable length and will wear you out of you ever paddle on larger rivers, lakes or the bay. Even a small child will have an easier time with a long sea kayak than with a river boat on those waters. I have several 12 foot recreational kayaks that are a compromise between the river boats and a sea kayak and I am very happy with them. They are still much shorter than the canoes that the liveries rent so they will handle small waters just fine.